Solved: Can't turn off Windows automatic updates

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jogpuss

I had updates set to download and then ask me which ones I wanted to install. But it only worked like that for a short time, then it started installing automatically.

After Patch Tuesday this week, everything started crashing. I did a system restore to the point before the updates, and most things are now working okay. But when I try to shut down the PC, the automatic updates start installing again, and there's no way to turn them off. Selecting manual updates has no effect, they still come automatically. If I uncheck all the updates in the list of 'important updates available' they only stay unchecked until I close the updates window - when I reopen it, they're all checked again.

I did a full system virus scan, but it found nothing infected.

I would be very grateful for any insights into this. Has anyone else had trouble with this week's updates? I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If there is one or more updates that you don't want to install, right-click on them and then select to hide them.

Just unchecking them isn't going to stop them from reappearing.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Jogpuss

Thank you, Frank. My problem is that I did set updates from that box like you showed, selecting not to have automatic download and installation, but they keep installing automatically anyway. I don't really want to hide the updates, because when I find out which one was causing the crashes, I can install the good ones.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I've never had a computer download and install updates automatically when it was set to only notify me of new updates and not download and install them automatically.

I have no idea why your computer would do that.

------------------------------------------------------------

Jogpuss

I googled the problem and it seems I'm not alone, but no-one has come up with a solution apart from doing a system restore, which only worked for me until the updates automatically installed again :(

But thanks for the tip about hiding them - I hid the less important ones and they haven't tried to install again, so at least that reduces the possibilities of which one is causing the trouble.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Be careful about using System Restore because it can make things even worse, and it can negate installs and updates and setting changes that were made.

----------------------------------------------------------

Jogpuss

Thanks, Zudrick, my problem is that I can't turn Windows updates off. I've tried disabling them completely, but get the message "Error 1053 The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

Ok here's a sure fire way of shutting updates off for good. start, bottom and type services.exe click services.exe, near bottom you'll find windows updates right click select properties then startup type and select disabled click apply then ok been as thou your updates are not been used you can use the extra bandwidth so now click start, bottom and type gpedit.msc then computer configuration administrative templates , network ,QoS Packet Sheduler in righthand pane Limit reservable bandwidth right click select edit click enable put bandwidth limit to 0 now your internet will be faster

throoper

Trusted Advisor (deceased)
Thanks, Zudrick, my problem is that I can't turn Windows updates off. I've tried disabling them completely, but get the message "Error 1053 The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."
If the updates were already downloaded but failed to install, they may simply be re-trying at each boot and they are checked because they are already downloaded.
Open the folder C:\Windows\Software Distribution\Download.
Click Edit>Select all then File>Delete to empty the folder.
Don't delete the Download folder, just empty it of it's contents.
When you reboot, you should get offered the updates again and be able to uncheck them.

Jogpuss

Thank you, Throoper. I followed your instructions, but there's still the most recent folder that won't delete - it says I 'require permission from System' to delete it...?? (I'm the only admin on this PC and don't have any permissions set)

I'm beginning to suspect a virus and not the Windows updates. I can't update my antivirus (Avast) and I can't download Malwarebytes.

throoper

Trusted Advisor (deceased)
It may still be in the process of trying to install.
Start>Run (or Win+R on the keyboard)>type services.msc>OK
Scroll down to Windows Update and stop the service, then try deleting the remaining folder in the Download folder.

If no joy, try it again in Safe Mode (Stop WU service and delete folder).

Jogpuss

Actually I found I could delete the rest of the updates by opening the folder and deleting the contents individually! Then I downloaded Malwarebytes (in Safe Mode) and ran a full scan - it reported no infections.

Back in normal mode, even more things are going wrong. Internet Explorer is no longer working properly, though Firefox is fine. Outlook email is only working very minimally - I can't open emails that have links in them. All the rest of Office 2010 is read-only.

I have a suspicion that it was an Office update that caused the trouble. When I did my first System Restore and everything seemed to be okay, I tried just installing selected updates to pinpoint the trouble-maker, and started with the four Office ones (together - silly me). All the problems returned, and System Restore no longer helped. I can't even find those four Office updates now in the recent updates list so that I can delete them! :mad:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Have you tried a repair of Office - control panel programs and features - Office - right click, click change and then click repair on the window that opens

I would also run a system file check
open cmd prompt with admin rights, that is
windows button
type in search
cmd
right click it when it appears above
click run as admin
type
sfc /scannow
press enter
what is result please - no violations found or some files cannot be repaired
If the latter reboot and run it twice more, rebooting after each
If after the third time you still have errors cannot be repaired then post the log please of the system file check result
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online