1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't Turn on Automatic Updates

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cwhinery, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwhinery

cwhinery Thread Starter

I'm having a problem turning on my automatic updates, when i turn on my computer the error bubble comes up saying automatic updates is turned off, I click turn on Automatic Updates and it does nothing. When i try to update the windows Update website it tells me this.

The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running:
    • Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install high-priority updates for your computer)
    • Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
    • Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with troubleshooting, if needed)
    To make sure these services are running:
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
    3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click Properties.
    4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
    5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
    6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
    7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
    8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
    9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click Properties.
    10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
    11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button. If this does not resolve the problem you may request help from one of the following resources.

I cannot turn on automatic updates this way either. when i click start it comes up with an error that says
    Could not start automatic update service on local computer.

Error 1058: The service cannot be started, Either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

This machine is running windows xp with SP3 and this just started after trying to download a christmas screensaver for my wife. Please help!!!!

2. 12tipp12

12tipp12

3. cwhinery

cwhinery Thread Starter

i tried this but it did not work :(

4. 12tipp12

12tipp12

5. cwhinery

cwhinery Thread Starter

well i fixed my problem here is the reply to another thread that seemed to fix it for me:"

[​IMG] andyspeake [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Senior Member with 1,011 posts.
    Experience: Training at MRU

27-Nov-2008, 12:15 PM #4
    Hi,

Download and Run ComboFix

Please visit this webpage for instructions for downloading ComboFix at your DESKTOP :
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/comb...o-use-combofix
    Please ensure you read this guide carefully and install the Recovery Console first.

Additional links to download the tool:
    http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
    http://www.forospyware.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
    http://subs.geekstogo.com/ComboFix.exe

Note: The Windows Recovery Console will allow you to boot up into a special recovery (repair) mode. This allows us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware. It is a simple procedure that will only take a few moments of your time.

Once installed, you should see a blue screen prompt that says:

The Recovery Console was successfully installed.

Please continue as follows:
    • Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix. A guide to do this can be found here.
    • Click Yes to allow ComboFix to continue scanning for malware.
    • When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you.
    • Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt along with a new HijackThis log so we may continue cleaning the system.

Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!