1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't unhide the first columns in Excel.

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by toll_booth, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toll_booth

toll_booth Thread Starter

I decided to hide the first couple of columns in the spreadsheet. But for some reason I can't get them back. I tried selecting the first visible column, the whole spreadsheet, the View menu. Nothing. The columns won't unhide. And yes I need their data.

For the record, hiding and then unhiding works fine when it's not the first column.

2. drCarls

drCarls

Hi there,
    Not sure if you're using 2007 but hopefully will work with previous versions as well. Take your cursor and place it between column B and the column numbers - wait until the cursor turns to the 2 vertical lines with arrows pointing left and right and drag to the right - thus revealing your hidden Column A with any luck!!

HTH
    Carla

3. Pedro15

Pedro15

Click on the little box to the left of B and above 1 . This should highlight whole sheet.
    Go Format/Column/Unhide

Pedro

4. nreves

nreves

or if you get the two vert lines to separate the columns, right click and select unhide. that way it will be the same size as when you hid it. either way will work.

5. computerman29642

computerman29642

If none of the suggestions above work, please attach a sample file (replace sensitive data with dummy data). This way we all can see exactly the same thing you are seeing.

6. toll_booth

toll_booth Thread Starter

Thanks, this seems to be the most effective solution.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/826648