1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't Uninstall/Reinstall Java - MSICUU2 won't work

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Frowie, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Frowie

Frowie Thread Starter

Hello,

I am unable to uninstall/reinstall/get Java to work. Control Panel says I have Java 6(TM) Update 19 V.6.0.190 yet it does not work in any of my browsers. If I try to uninstall it generates the following error: “Add or Remove Programs: Fatal error during installation.”. I have tried both the online and offline installation package (jre-6u19-windows-i586-s.exe). When I try to install Java the error message is: “Java Setup: This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?”. If I say yes the error message is “Error 1606.Could not access network location :.”.

I tried to open the Java Control Panel and received the following error: “Java(TM) Control Panel: The system cannot find the file specified. C:\Program Files Java\jre6\bin\javaclpl.exe”.

I tried the MS Windows Installer Cleanup Utility (msicuu2.exe) and it generated the following error “Windows Script Host: Can’t find script engine “VBScript” for script “C:\DOCUME~1\\LANDMA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\StartMsi.vbs”.

I am running WinXP Pro V.2002 SP3 and all hotfixes, IE8.0.6001.18702, FF3.6.3, Chrome 4.1.249.1045 (42898)

I realize that these are two separate problems but they both impact my ability to get Java running. I would be very grateful for any help you might offer.

Thank you,
    Frowie

2. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

3. Frowie

Frowie Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice How'dIdoThat. I was actually able to root out all of the hidden bits with Revo Uninstaller and then do a clean install. That solved that problem.

The issue about not being able to run Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility (MSICUU2.exe) still stands as described in paragraph 3 of my original post. It is not, however, a critical issue now that I have fixed Java.

I will mark this issue closed and resubmit the MSICUU2 issue should it become more pressing again.

Thanks,
    Frowie

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916655