Solved: Can't unplug power cable to CD drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pcbaaya

I am in the process of removing the CD-R drive from my Dell Dimension 8200 so I can install a Plextor 712 DVD drive, and I can't unplug the power cable. Is there a trick to this, or is it just a matter of my not having enough strength in my hands (old lady)? How far dare I go--for example, should I try to pry it out or use pliers on it? Can I wiggle it hard? I am afraid of breaking it or bending pins.

This is only the second time I have done anything inside a computer (the last time I successfully installed a CD drive in a Compaq), so I am really a newbie at it and don't know what to expect. Any help appreciated!

They can get stuck over time. Use some force and wiggle it a little. Don't use pliers, you could break the plug.

I run into this occasionally. What I do is use a pair of pliers, gripping the plug right up against the case and pry outward on it using the case for leverage. You won't bend the pins.

Triple6

Rob
See if its glued in, sometimes people/techs glue then in so they won't fall out - DELL wouldn't though.

It probably just needs some persuasion. Try wiggling it out or use a pair of pliers. Just be careful not to yank it out and smack something else in the case - wiggling usually does the trick with a pliers.

pcbaaya

Just got it out by wiggling and a bit of prying...and now on to the part I know even less about, but I hope the manuals will be enough for that. Thank you all very much, and especially for answering so quickly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online