1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't unplug power cable to CD drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pcbaaya, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcbaaya

pcbaaya Thread Starter

I am in the process of removing the CD-R drive from my Dell Dimension 8200 so I can install a Plextor 712 DVD drive, and I can't unplug the power cable. Is there a trick to this, or is it just a matter of my not having enough strength in my hands (old lady)? How far dare I go--for example, should I try to pry it out or use pliers on it? Can I wiggle it hard? I am afraid of breaking it or bending pins.

This is only the second time I have done anything inside a computer (the last time I successfully installed a CD drive in a Compaq), so I am really a newbie at it and don't know what to expect. Any help appreciated!

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

They can get stuck over time. Use some force and wiggle it a little. Don't use pliers, you could break the plug.

3. n2gun

n2gun

I run into this occasionally. What I do is use a pair of pliers, gripping the plug right up against the case and pry outward on it using the case for leverage. You won't bend the pins.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    See if its glued in, sometimes people/techs glue then in so they won't fall out - DELL wouldn't though.

It probably just needs some persuasion. Try wiggling it out or use a pair of pliers. Just be careful not to yank it out and smack something else in the case - wiggling usually does the trick with a pliers.

5. pcbaaya

pcbaaya Thread Starter

Just got it out by wiggling and a bit of prying...and now on to the part I know even less about, but I hope the manuals will be enough for that. Thank you all very much, and especially for answering so quickly.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324457

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice