1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cant update my GFX driver!!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by w746ehj, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. w746ehj

w746ehj Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2810 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 292810 MB, Free - 38023 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Not Updated

When i try to update my driver from ATI Radeon HD 4xxx
    i get [​IMG]
    also tried auto detect and install
    also when to toshiba site but they havent updated it since the laptop came out, and every software is telling me that i have a new version
    Thanks in advanced

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why are you updating? Updating drivers can lead to problems.

Since I have a Toshiba Satellite, I know what your problem is. It is not an ATI graphics card. It has an ATI chipset, but it is a proprietary Toshiba card which supports the unusual resolution of the laptop screen. No AMD/ATI software will work with it because it uses a special driver that is controlled by Toshiba's settings and not ATI's. Catalyst will not install, Hydravision will not work, and the Catalyst Control Panel will not run.

3. w746ehj

w746ehj Thread Starter

so how can i update it, alot of games are yelling at me saying that might run slow because your graphics driver is not updated

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It can't be updated. The only drivers available are at Toshiba.

Laptops are not designed to be used for gaming (except a very few, special-purpose ones).

5. w746ehj

w746ehj Thread Starter

well i guess its time for a new comp then >.> time to start saving :p

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Check Toshiba, anyway. I found a slightly newer driver for mine when looking through all that they offered.

Usually, "powered by ATI" and "made by ATI" mean nothing important. But at other times, it can mean that the ATI chipset is used but huge changes have been made by the manufacturer in other aspects of its setup. It's a good graphics card - just not the one you need for some games.

Also, run the Web Installer For DirectX Runtimes to make sure that you have the latest components. The web installer will download and install only the parts you need.

Sorry. But there are still a large number of games that will play on your machine. Look for games that match your Windows Experience Index.

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!