1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cant uprade ROM/ update BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by antman707, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. antman707

antman707 Thread Starter

My Dell E510 only has 256mb of ram so i bought (2) 1gig cards. these are Dell pieces. from everything ive read they should work. when i install them and turn the pc on it just beeps and will not boot. i contacted the supplier and was told that i need to upgrade my bios. i currently have A02 and downloaded A05 from the dell website. when i try to run it i get an error and it says windows could not be configured and to re-boot. i have done this several times with the same result. am i missing something?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  3. antman707

antman707 Thread Starter

i finally got the bios to update. i tried to install in every configuration possible and it just beeps and will not load. im sending it back. it just wont work

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the 7-character service tag/express service code on the sticker of that Dell?

What's the description of the 1 GB modules that you bought?

------------------------------------------------------------------

5. antman707

antman707 Thread Starter

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to service tag JPCDF91, that computer is a Dell Dimension 5150/E510 desktop.

According to its original configuration section, it's over 6 year old and shipped with a single 240-pin 256 MB DDR2 PC2-4200(DDR2-533) RAM module.

According to its drivers and downloads section, the most current BIOS version for it is A07.

You need to download and save it, then close all open windows first, then install it within Windows.

---------------------------------------------------------

That desktop has 4 slots and supports up to 4 GB of RAM.

That means you can add up to 1 GB in each slot.

It uses 240-pin CL=5, 1.8V, unbuffered, non-ECC DDR2 PC2-3200(DDR2-400) or DDR2 PC2-4200(DDR2-533) modules.

Trying to save a few dollars by buying RAM modules on eBay is not a good idea because you don't know if you're getting the correct modules or if they're even good.

---------------------------------------------------------

7. antman707

antman707 Thread Starter

as far as the memory it has a lifetime warranty and they will take it back and refund. are you saying i should download and install A07? i dont want to flash my Bios again if i dont have to. dont want to brick it but if there is a good chance it will work then i will

8. antman707

antman707 Thread Starter

here i the specs on the cards. is there anything here explaining why they wont work?

Specifications:
    - Part Number: HYMP112U64CP8-Y5 AB
    - Type: DDR2 SDRAM
    - Capacity: 1GB
    - Speed: 555MHz
    - Bus Type : PC2 - 5300
    - Pins: 240pin
    -ECC : NO

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Updating the BIOS from A05 to A07 is your choice. I just wanted to make you aware that Dell A07 is the most current BIOS version for that desktop.

DDR2 PC2-5300 modules are 667 MHz and are also referred to as DDR2-667.

That desktop supports the modules that I mentioned in post #6.

----------------------------------------------------------------

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You may need to get the slower DDR2 PC2-5300 = 667MHz Ram that flavallee mentioned.

The manual I linked to in post #2 does say this :-
    So perhaps you were just unlucky with the Ram you got. The seller may swap it for the slower version if you want to do that. A refund and buying elsewhere might be better though.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1053674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice