1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Solved: Can't use formatting options after upgrade

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by Mowergun, Apr 4, 2004.

Unmark Solved
Advertisement
  1. Mowergun

Mowergun Guest Thread Starter

Hi,

With this new upgrade, when I click on the B or I or U or any of the other buttons above when writing a post, all that happens is that my view jumps to the top of the page. I no longer get the little boxes opening up in which to type the text to be formatted.

I noticed the same problem at Cyber Tech Help forums when they upgraded.

I assume that I can manually type the formatting tags, lets see:

Bold Italic Underline Bold Italic

Bold Italic Underlined

Can anyone tell me why I could use those features with the old format, but cannot use them after the upgrade?

2. chalky

chalky

Ive just been testing it out...
    highlighting it i want to change then clicking on ..font...size...colour..as you would in Word.....

3. chalky

chalky

woops size 7 was too big :rolleyes:

4. Mowergun

Well, I am happy that you are able to use those features. I find now that if I click on anything on this "Reply to Thread" page, anything at all including the icons at the right side, all that happens is that I jump to the top of the page where the TSG logo is.

5. Mowergun

Ok, well I closed IE and browsed back using Mozilla Firefox, and I have the same problem. Just one thought crossed my mind. Could it be a donation must be made to enable those enhanced features, just as a donation will disable the ads?

If I knew this to be the case, I might donate to get those feature enabled.

6. chalky

chalky

I expect there are a few bugs to be ironed out til everything becomes as smooth as before...I've been getting ' page cannot be displayed ' every time I change forums...have to close the browser then reopen...bit of a pain that...daresay there's a few others getting different faults here and there...depends on the system we have I expect...take a few days to get them all ironed out...let's see what other faults get thrown up...

7. chalky

chalky

Donations wouldn't make any difference..except to any adds being removed...

Donate or not we all get the same ' enhancements ' :)

8. Mowergun

Hmm, well I'm back with IE. I disabled my firewall to see if that made a difference. No joy. I assume that if it had anything to do with the settings in my internet options, then I would not have had the same problem with Mozilla Firefox. I think after dinner I will try it again with my wife's new computer and see if I can use the features when I browse here with her computer.

One other thought, question for techguy, do any of these features depend on JavaVM?

9. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    For those of you that want to play with fonts, below are all fonts available and below them samples of font sizes:

Arial

Arial Black

Arial Narrow

Book Antiqua

Century Gothic

Comic Sans MS

Courier New

Fixedsys

Franklin Gothic Medium

Garamond

Georgia

Impact

Lucida Console

Lucida Sans Console

Microsoft Sans Serif

Palintino Linotype

System

Tahoma

Times New Roman

Trebuchet MS

Verdana

Size 1

size 2

Size 3

Size 4

Size 5

Size 6

Size 7

10. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Most features require JavaScript, but only chat requires JavaVM. Sounds like something is blocking those features -- pop-up blocked, ZoneAlarm, firewall, etc.

11. hewee

hewee

bold
    I
    U
    M​

impact
    color

12. Mowergun

Ok, I'm back. using my wife's computer and everything seems to be working just fine. :D

Obviously, the problem is with my computer. :confused:

Javascript needed huh? Ok, thanks. That gives me a place to start trouble shooting.

13. Mowergun

Well, I tried putting forums.techguy.org in the trusted sites zone, no joy.
    I tried repairing IE, no joy.
    I tried disabling script blocking in NAV, no joy.
    I tried disabling my firewall (NPF), no joy.
    I removed all protections set by SpyWareBlaster and Spybot, no joy.
    I reinstalled IE6 sp1 from the cd I got from microsoft, no joy.
    I removed the redirections set by analogx script defender, no joy.
    I reregistered regwizc.dll, no joy.
    In internet options, under both the advanced and security tabs, I set everything to exactly match my wife's computer, no joy.
    I ran SFC with "check for changed files" checked, and found no altered or corrupted files.
    I went to this Java test page: http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm and I was able to see both "YES!...IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE JavaScript ENABLED!" and the "If you can see this you are fully Java enabled!" Java applet at the bottom of the page was moving in a wave from right to left.

When I click on anything on this "reply to thread" page, including the smilies on the right, my browser immediately snaps to the top of the page, but nothing else happens. Both here at forums.techguy and at Cyber Tech Forums I was able to use the formatting features before the upgrades, but now I can't. I am still able to use those features at the VDR forum.

If I knew what was different in this new format compared to the old one, that might help me track down the cause.

14. Mowergun

Well, I just installed the latest Sun Java Runtime Environment software, and it still doesn't work. [email protected]#$%^&*

15. Mowergun

Well, I just found out that I cannot upload attachments either. When I click on the "Manage Attachments" button, nothing happens.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!