1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cant use setup.exe to upgrade drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hrtbob, Oct 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hrtbob

hrtbob Thread Starter

G/day,

Ive just reformatted my computer after getting a replcement motherboard (the other one died) and have installed everything but the graphics card drivers. I have an asus radeon x600xt pci express card that comes with a CD that contains : drivers, enhanced drivers, smart doctor, gameface et al. However when the autoplay kicks in the computer freezes requiring a reboot.

I got on the net and went to the radeon website and got the latest catalyst driver from there, clicked on setup and it too freezes requiring a reboot.

when i bought the computer and installed the drivers the cd's and driver setups worked fine...whats changed?

regards,
    Hrtbob

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Do you get any kind of an error? Or does it just freeze?

3. imjerry

imjerry

Go into setup and make PCI Video your first choice, esc, F10, enter and it will reboot, and then you should be able to load the drivers!! Default on new MOBO's W/AGP slots are set to default to AGP not PCI!!

Hope that solves your problem

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you use the Radeon on the old board? Have you installed the chipset drivers for that board?

5. hrtbob

hrtbob Thread Starter

hi all,
    I didn't receive any error messages from the computer, nor where there any in the event viewer. Upon entering the bios their doesn't appear to be any default setting for video card. I did use this card with the same motherboard prior to the reformat and currently the chipset drivers are installed with no error/warnings in the device manager.

regards,
    hrtbob

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

What is listed under Display Adapters in Device Manager?

Were there any problems or errors during installation?

You might run chkdsk /f just because it's a good idea.

7. hrtbob

hrtbob Thread Starter

under display adaptors it has "asus eax600 xt and asus eax600 xt secondary"
    i managed to install this by pointing windows installer in the right direction to look for drivers, but i cant update as the new drivers are .exe packs. i'l go off and run a check disk now.

cheers

8. hrtbob

hrtbob Thread Starter

check disk ran fine, no problems there.

9. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Do you have the latest service pack (SP2) and the .net framework?

Catalyst needs those, but I doubt it will fix the immediate problem, just save you a headache later. But hey, give it a try I guess.

10. hrtbob

hrtbob Thread Starter

loserolimbs, the sp2 is installed as is the .net framework 2 beta 2. The first time around i only had xp without sp1 or .net framework at all. Just for some added information, i rolled back the drivers and tried to install without any anti-virus programs running but it made no difference.

cheers

11. hrtbob

hrtbob Thread Starter

just an update, i have tried to install the catalyst drivers, the asus drivers, and the omega radeon drivers. all freeze and require a restart. Tried to install in safe mode and an error occured informing me that the necessary hardware was not found and that nothing was therefore installed.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

13. hrtbob

hrtbob Thread Starter

thanks for the heads up, i'll go off and find someone with broadband now... i dont want to be online for the next 5 days! do you recommend installing it in safe mode? actually, what is the best method to install this driver?

i would believe it to be,
    . uses catalyst uninstaller to remove current ati drivers
    . turn off computer, remove card.
    . restart computer without card, shutdown
    .reinsert card, turn on computer, allow hardware wizard to initiate

???

cheers,
    hrtbob

14. hrtbob

hrtbob Thread Starter

well i have the drivers installed, but had to go through the add hardware method and advanced browse to do so. I did use the asus drivers, big download! and touch wood things will be smooth sailing from here. i guess technically this thread is solved since the problem of drivers is no longer valid, however the inability to do this via .exe files is a bit annoying. anyway thanks guys;

cheers,
    Hrtbob

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can start a new thread on the other problem if you want.

If you're satisfied with this one, you can mark the thread "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/411476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice