Solved: Can't visit certain websites

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sg09

Guys, I am back after a long time with another difficulty...:(

I can't visit certain some websites in my Vista x64 PC. I could visit it normally even 1 days back but not today.
Few sites to mention
http://www.comodo.com/
http://www.cnet.com/

This sites are up as tested in here.
http://downfor.me/

I did Google a bit and found a bit of information here.
http://ask-leo.com/i_cant_access_some_websites_why.html

but that software is not vista ready so I downloaded SG TCP Optimizer
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

I choose optimum settings and did a reboot. After starting windows I was able to visit those sites. But after another reboot the problem came back. From that time on SG TCP Optimizer did not work again.

What do I do now?

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Can you access those websites without the router? Tried resetting it?

valis

diablo75, only authorized members can offer malware advice; I've edited your post accordingly.

Thanks,

v

sg09

@Phantom010: I am under directly connected through a modem, without a router (PPPOE). I forgot to tell that I have dual boot and I can connect to those sites through my Win7 Home Basic 32bit.

@others: My computer supposedly has no virus. I have fully up-to-date system, Installed security setup: ESET Smart Security, Kingsoft PC Doctor, Ad Muncher. Regularly scanned with Hitman Pro. Sandboxed and safe browsing maintained. Autorun disabled.

edit: Just now I could connect to those sites. Temporary problems?

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Well, you do have a few programs in there that could interfere with certain websites. Either try disabling them or try reaching that website after booting into Safe Mode with Networking.

sg09

Well, you do have a few programs in there that could interfere with certain websites. Either try disabling them or try reaching that website after booting into Safe Mode with Networking.
I also have the same setup in Win7 home basic but never had such problem. But I will certainly follow your advice once I face this problem again and will let you know. Btw, PPPOE users like me couldn't connect in safe mode with networking.

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Since PPPoE connection has a MTU lower than that of standard Ethernet (typically 1492 vs Ethernet's 1500), it can sometimes cause problems when Path MTU discovery is defeated by poorly configured firewalls.

However, a larger MTU can also sometimes cause communications errors. Decreasing the MTU value may help.

sg09

Since PPPoE connection has a MTU lower than that of standard Ethernet (typically 1492 vs Ethernet's 1500), it can sometimes cause problems when Path MTU discovery is defeated by poorly configured firewalls.

However, a larger MTU can also sometimes cause communications errors. Decreasing the MTU value may help.
I know SG TCP Optimizer has this option for configuring MTU. But can you please advice where to configure MTU manually? And what should I try set it to 1500 or very lower value like 576 (suggested by ask-leo)?

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
On Vista, it can be done from the registry.

While MTU generally doesn't have to be changed from the default values, there are instances when you need to alter the MTU sizes to fix certain network performance issues.

Press the Windows key + R to open a Run box.

Type regedit

Click OK.

Browse to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\<AdapterID>

Create a new DWORD Value named MTU.

Set the Value to 1400 as I think it's the minimal Value recommended by Microsoft.

Restart the computer.

This is odd

I came here looking to solve the same problem. It started about a week ago , In my case it seems to be only one website. I would visit it everyday and had no problems at all. Until about a week the site went down for a few hours. It's back up but won't load when I'm on my home network whether it's on my cpu or laptop.

So I can access the site on my phone on other networks but not my own. Any ideas or suggestions to fix this. Also I'm not the most computer savvy person , Any help would most likely be dumbed down much as possible lol

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
@Phantom010: How do I know my AdapterID?
It's basically the one with the information on DHCP, IP addresses, Leases... Looks like you have it in your screenshot... The other ones probably have zeros for IP addresses and such...

sg09

It's basically the one with the information on DHCP, IP addresses, Leases... Looks like you have it in your screenshot... The other ones probably have zeros for IP addresses and such...
The other two are in the attachment. Among them one can be discarded but I am not sure about the other.

Attachments

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Press the Windows key + R to open a Run box.

Type CMD.

Click OK.

In the Command Prompt, type ipconfig /all.

Press Enter.

Copy (right-click and Select All > press Enter) the entire content of that window and paste it into your next reply.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online