1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Caps Lock Issue...might be the keyboard.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by seamus8u, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seamus8u

seamus8u Thread Starter

When my wife tries to log in to her computer, it gives her a message stating that her caps lock key is on, but she can't turn it off...I'm nowhere near the laptop so I'm relaying this info second hand. There is a triangle with an exclamation mark and it says "Caps lock is on." She says when she clicks the message, it tells her to access the on-screen keyboard, but using the mouse to turn of caps lock there doesn't work either.

She also just informed me that the caps lock key is on for everything...firefox, word, notepad etc, so I assume it's a keyboard issue, not a log in issue. When she presses shift, it goes to lower case. I had her go to control panel, region and language, keyboards and languages, hit the change languages button to open text services, opened the advanced key settings, and the "press the CAPS LOCK key" choice was in fact selected, so I don't know what to try next. Maybe to enter safe mode to see if the problem exists there too? But I don't know how to get into safe mode on her computer, and neither does she, apparently. F2 seems to be the bios from her description and F12 seems to be the boot menu, but no safe mode selections...only drive choices. Her laptop is an Acer Aspire 5534...that's all I know...for now.

Edit: She entered into safe mode and the caps lock is still on. Keyboard issue?

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Perhaps you could disable the Caps Lock key? Mine has been disabled. I hate that useless key anyway. How many times are we hitting it by mistake! :D

HERE's how.

3. seamus8u

seamus8u Thread Starter

That is an option, but I (she) was hoping to figure out the issue. Disabling the button entirely will be the last case scenario for sure, but I'm (she's) still wondering why the key would stop working correctly. I told her to just use a usb keyboard with her laptop. :D :rolleyes:

4. Phantom010

Disabling the Caps Lock key is easy and completely reversible, so I think it's an easy fix. Besides, who ever uses that annoying key anyway... :D

5. Phantom010

You've marked your thead as solved. Would you care to tell us what was your fix or what you decided to do?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!