1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Caps lock not working in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dougglos, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    I have been using Windows 7 for a few months now, and suddenly my Logitech keyboard Caps lock is not responding. I can get a capital letter in, say, Word, etc., by simply holding down the shift key, but cannot type words in capitals, other than by doing the same thing. Previously I simply pressed the Caps lock key, but recently that has had no effect. The Number lock key works perfectly, so has anyone any ideas please? Thanks.

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Defective keyboard, perhaps.

Which Window 7? 32 or 64 bit?

Edit:
    boot to safe mode. If it happens in safe mode, I'd place a small wager on the keyboard.

RF123

3. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Hello, rainforest123 - and thanks for your response. It is Windows 7 64- bit, and I took your advice and started in Safe Mode, at which time the Caps lock key functioned correctly, so obviously not the keyboard. But when I restarted normally, it had gone again! I seem to remember seeing something which enables you to cancel the Caps lock, number lock, etc., but I can't remember where and can't find it!! Does that ring any bells with you?

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

d :
    No bells, whistles, flares, parades.

When did the problem begin? Can you relate the onset to the installation or removal of hardware or software; update to W7; antivirus, other program?

Because the issue does not occur in safe mode, some program running during normal mode is causing the problem. To find out which is the culprit, perform clean boot troubleshooting.

Clean boot troubleshooting
    start > search
    type: msconfig.exe
    Left click it.
    The system utility will open.
    The following assumes your computer is in "normal startup"

"services" tab
    Hide Microsoft services
    Disable all

"Startup" tab.
    Disable all

OK
    Restart.

Does the problem occur?

If not, return to "services" tab, enable some. Try to group them by vendor / manufacturer or program
    Startup tab; enable startup items associated with items you enabled on "services" tab
    OK
    Reboot

Take careful , meticulous notes. Be methodical.

Another method for clean boot troubleshooting
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

RF123

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do a web search for disable caps lock and you may find something that rings a bell. :)

6. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    rainforest123 - followed your suggestions, and now all working perfectly again, except that each time I use the Caps lock or Number lock the system "bleeps" at me!! If there is also a way to disable that I would prefer it, but if not, at least the keys are working as before, for which I thank you! (TerryNet - thanks also for your ideas.)

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

control panel
    upper right, set it to large icons
    sounds
    "sounds" tab
    Under program events, find the .wav associated with the beep. It might NOT be labeled as such.
    But, it is, search for / locate "caps lock beep.wav" for example.
    Rename it to caps lock beep.vaw

You may need to set your computer to show hidden, system & protected OS files, which you would do in "folder options", "view" tab

edit:
    alternatively, locate all of the .wav files used by Windows, rename 1/2 to filename.vaw; test; continue until you have located the corresponding .wav

RF123

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

What / Which was the culprit? What did you disable in the system config utility?

RF123

9. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    In my Sounds / Program Events, I have it set so that there are only about four sounds in use, and no mention of Caps lock (Windows 7 does not seem to show that). But I have found a way of correcting the problem via "Ease of Access Centre" which let me to disable the beep sounds. So all is well now, for which I thank you, and I am marking the item as "Solved".

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

d :
    Congratulations!

unsubscribed

RF123

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/936407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice