Solved: Capturing/Transferrin DV to PC usin USB2 ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rusty1952

Has anyone ever done this ? I am new to and just bought a JVC miniDV Camcorder. It says in the owners manual that one can: transfer still images stored on a memory card to a PC using USB. It also says that you can transfer still/moving images that were recorded on the DV tape to a PC as well, by using USB. :confused: I thought that one had to use the IEEE 1394 Firewire to transfer or capture the digital stills and moving images(digital video) from the Camera's DV Tape to the PC ?
If someone knows how to do this could you please help me out and elaborate some how this is accomplished using USB rather than Firewire ?! I'd like to use what I hav cuz i don't have "Firewire" on my PC as yet.

Any help id be really appreciated. Thanks.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Many DVC's transfer the stills with USB, but the standard video transfer is IEE1394. My daughter has a Sharp that works the same way. I suspect there's no way you'll get the video on the USB link.

Rusty1952

Thanks JohnWill. Do u think that may be a misprint or even a misrepresentation of what the owner's manual says, that it can be done that way ? I"ve emailed JVC techsupport but havn't heard bak from them yet on the issue.

I read somewhere that it can be done usin USB for transfer of motion video from DV but that it wasn't a good way, cuz it looks choppy and some dropped frames in the streaming, etc. So have you ever heard of a way to do it thru the usb ? I understand that IEEE is the standard; but i'm still curious to try it that way......, Do u know of any capture programs that can do it thru USB ?? I've searched a bit on Videohelp.com but havn't found anything as yet. Any ideas ? Please let me know, thanks.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
What does the owners manual say? I've seen two different DVC's with both connections, and the Firewire was required for the video, the stills were accessed with the USB connection.

It really isn't the capture program that's the issue, it's the fact that the camera won't put the video on the USB side. Remember, the IEE1394 also controls the camera functions while you're reading the video. I suspect the reason you haven't found any way to do it is that there isn't a way. ;)

Rusty1952

that's the thing of it: It says just what i said in the 2nd thru to the 4th line in my 1st post, ie., "that you can transfer still and moving images recorded onto the 'tape' to the pc using USB."

Course then under another paragraph it said (right under) that you can do also do it with Firewire as well. Yeah thanks, I was readin bout that in the help menus on Win. Movie Maker...bout the Firewire controlling the camera's functions and all. Pretty cool.

I think it was misprint of info. in the manual on JVC's part, don't you ? Still havn't heard any from JVC's TS. Figures.

Last night I ordered addin card for Firewire at Newegg. So I should be set to go on that next week. Figured twas the best thing to do anyway. If you would; please keep the thread open for a few more days aftr that u can mark solved if u'd like.
Thanks.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
No problem. I think that may have been a misprint, but I think you'll find IEE1394 much better for the purpose anyway. Let us know how you make out.

Rusty1952

Just a little update on the issue of JVC stating in the owners manual that the use of USB 2.0 for transfer of video media from DV tape was possibe. Din't think so either. Finally got an email from their TS saying it was mistake and misprint in manual.

Got the Firewire pci add-in card and transferred the video from DV tape and it works great !!

Thanks JohnWill, and as I said earlier we can mark this thread as solved at your convenience.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
No, it's at your convenience! :D You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen. :)

I really thought that was a mistake, I've never seen a DVC that used the USB for the video.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online