1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Capturing Wireless Signal into Wired

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kristin82, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kristin82

Kristin82 Thread Starter

Hi All,

It's been a while since I posted but you guys were very helpful the last time. I am trying to set up my mom's internet for her and she is trying to switch from Cable internet to a hot spot she got from Verizon Wireless (5 spot). I tried hooking the hot spot up to her router via the USB cable but that clearly didn't work. She has a wireless laptop and iPad but her desktop and my dad's desktop (out in his detatched garage, too far away for the hot spot) both are wired through ethrenet cables. What I want to do is capture the wifi signal from the hot spot and send it to the two wired computers. I did find a universal wifi adapter that has an ethrenet connection on the back of it but didn't purchase it yet because I didn't know if it would work. It looks like it would accept the wifi and then convert it and send it through the ethrenet (which would then go to the router and the wired computers). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kristin

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A Wireless Bridge (or AP Client; at least one manufacturer calls it an Ethernet Converter) will "extend" a wireless network to ethernet. Often the device is just called a Wireless Access Point, but some of those also have the desired mode. Give the brand and model of the device you are considering and we should be able to determine if it will do what you want.

3. Kristin82

Kristin82 Thread Starter

It is a Netgear Universal Wi-Fi adapter Model: WNCE2001-100NAS

I was using a Belkin - Play N600 Wireless Dual Band N Router with USB Port
    Model: F7D8302 (if I remember correctly, but I know it was a Belkin with 2 USB Ports)

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That looks OK. I just love the way they keep coming up with new confusing names for stuff.

5. Kristin82

Kristin82 Thread Starter

So you think that would work to catch the wifi signal and then connect that to the router and the router to the two computers? If so this will be wonderful as I have been trying to attack this problem for quite some time now. If you think that the universal adapter will work I will give it a try and let you know and then deem this one solved.
    Kristin

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It should work, but as they say, "the devil is in the details." I only have experience with one such unit (made by Airlink101); I had to consult the user manual and read the relevant sections a few times until I got it working the first time, but it has worked well since then and I've had to change it a few times as I've changed routers.

7. The Good Guy

The Good Guy

Can use a wireless access point to capture a schools wireless service?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Kristin is not dealing with a school network.

9. The Good Guy

The Good Guy

i know i was just curious

10. Kristin82

Kristin82 Thread Starter

Thank you! I finally had time to give it a try today and after a little fanagling it worked!
    Kristin

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good going! You're welcome. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice