1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CAR PC? will it work? HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 4-u-2-n-v, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4-u-2-n-v

4-u-2-n-v Thread Starter

Hi there

Newbie to this but I want to put my pc in my car. Was wondering if I take pc tower with 500w inverter will pc run if I hook everything up. Was looking for wattage regulator but could not find place that sells it (cape town, south africa ).

PC parts- 60 gig ssd, am3 mb with dedicated graphics, athlon cpu, 4 gb ddr3 ram, 500w psu, 7 inch touch screen, running window 7 ulti.

Reason for car pc is as monitoring car specs (wheel pressure, parking sensing, alarm...) and as media player, gps etc. Basically to add electronics to my car that it did not come with, Electronically modify it or pimp it out. Not so much into speed or heavy sound.

Car is Chevrolet aveo 1.6 hatch 2010 (black).
    Was thinking car battery-inverter-pc. I am not electrician so car or pc maybe both would blow up.

I know a in-dash player from Kenwood or other manufactures would be easier but wouldn't a pc have more functionality and connectability.

Plz help me, what do I need to do? Will it work? or am I noob for asking? lol

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Not going to work. Most pw supplies of reasonable current draw are going to be around 8~10amp @120V This is going to far exceed the 500W inverter. Let alone you just cannot run any device at its max rating all of the time.

In short, buy a laptop or tablet.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083834

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice