1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cascade Routers?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rbrager, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rbrager

rbrager Thread Starter

I am using a D-LINK 704P router to create my home network. Recently I acquired a notebook computer with built-in B/G Wi Fi. Could I just connect another router to a router with Wi Fi?

Question 2 Is there a wi fi attachment that will give me the wireless connectivity.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You could just replace the one router with a wireless model. Or, you can cascade them as follows:

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

3. rbrager

rbrager Thread Starter

John,

Thank you for the information. I need the 704P because it supports a USB printer port that allows my wife's computer access to the printer when my machine is powered down. It would be nice if I could extend the LAN to support a wireless connection for my Laptop. I will study your suggestions being a newbee in this area. Our networks at Lucent were hardwire
    for security purposes.

4. JohnWill

This configuration has been used in a number of places, including my network here.

5. rbrager

rbrager Thread Starter

I hope so, I've just ordered a D-LINK DI-524 router (with wireless), that Tiger Direct advertised as free after rebates. I'm only risking P&H but it will be fun to learn more about networking.

Thank you once again.

Bob

6. JohnWill

You're welcome.

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

7. rbrager

rbrager Thread Starter

I have had some limited success. I have had my wireless router working behind the 704up
    router but in an unprotected mode. I have made some interesting discoveries. The router has wpa-2 security but XP has only WPA. Does this make a difference? the D-LINK setup
    Wizard has only WEP security. The manual setup tends to clear your setting. Is there another way to change the settigs on the 524 router. I've found a couple of good tools,
    Netstumbler and Wirelessmon. Anyone know of any tool that will let me take a more
    direct approach to Router settings.

The good things are that when runnig the3 wireless varies from 5 bars to 2 bars which is quite usable thoughout the house.

8. jackdw

jackdw

I find the built-in wireless config in XP lots better than the manufacturer supplied one.

Strange, my XP (Xp Media Editon 05) can support WPA2. I'm runnong on it now.

9. JohnWill

WPA is fine, and if the router has WPA2, it also supports WPA. There is a patch for WZC for Windows XP for WPA2, XP WPA2 Patch will update XP to WPA2.

10. rbrager

rbrager Thread Starter

HOORAAH, HOORAH, HOORAH!!!

Thanks all for your help and suggestions. I decided to make the DI-524 and the DI-704UP the
    switch. I did this because I will be needing to tweek the wireless security as I learn more about it, so I wanted it to have the 192.186.0.1 address. Surprisingly it made the setup so much easier. Now all the hardware is work just right.

Thanks John for getting me started.

Had I known cross over cables cost a lot I might have balked. However, I think I am getting
    $60 worth of education.

11. JohnWill

12. rbrager

rbrager Thread Starter

Thanks John.

Guess I will avoid Best Buy in the future. $39 was quite expensive for a 14 ft. cable.
    So much for being impatient.

13. JohnWill

Impatient? I thought I was pretty patient. ;)

14. rbrager

rbrager Thread Starter

I was refering to my own impatience. I bought a cable without researching price.

15. JohnWill

Yep, that was a pretty expensive cable. :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice