1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Case fans not behaving.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BarracudaAxel, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BarracudaAxel

BarracudaAxel Thread Starter

Hello all, I am having a bit of a problem with the fans in my PC. I was looking up information so that I may overclock my E6550, and decided to check what my temps were like before I touched anything. Real Temp reveals that my CPU sits at 42* when idle, however SpeedFan shows my GPU (8800GTS) is running warm at 57* idle. However SpeedFan also shows that only 1 fan in my entire case is running, and it is saying that it is my CPU fan, when I know for a fact it isn't, it is the exhaust fan on the back. My case configuration consists of a fan in front pulling in air, a fan in the back pushing out air, my CPU fan with heat sink draws in air from a funnel in the side of the case, and the video card takes 2 slots in the back of the case one of which is dedicated to pulling in air. I have attempted to adjust my fan speeds via SpeedFan, and have tried installing nTune but it will not install properly. I would think with the fans I have it should at least sound like a small turboprop, but the only fan I can hear and confirm working is the large exhaust fan. Any help please?

John

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the fans are connected directly to the power supply or only have a 2 wire connector then their speed cannot be monitored. To be monitored or controller they need to be connected to the motherboard via a 3 or 4 pin connector and the motherboard must support monitoring of these fans.

Speedfan is not always accurate anyway. If your motherboard has its own utility then download and install that to monitor the fans.

3. BarracudaAxel

ah ok, makes sense Triple6 thanks for the speedy response. The front and rear case fans are wired directly to the PSU, however that should not explain the GPU and CPU fans not running should it? My mobo does have a utility that does such, nTune, however it will not install properly and this may be due to my 64bit Windows 7 distribution.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. BarracudaAxel

Whoops forgot about my mobo specs, it is an nForce 680i SE. I can see and feel the rear exhaust fan working, the fan in front is covered by the case front, but I can neither hear nor feel it working, and I can visually not see the CPU fan working (also it has approached 100* during certain applications stock). The graphic card's fan I can not see either, but once again I do not hear or see it working, and it seems to get quite warm.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Then you need to open up the case and confirm that the CPU fan is indeed working and that the heatsink is attached. 100 degrees Celsius is well beyond the specs of normal operation.

7. BarracudaAxel

Ok it would seem that installing nTune and switching the cooling over to manual has fixed my problems. I suppose the 8800GTS just runs hot :confused:

Thank you very much for all of the help Triple6!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice