1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Case for Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tahir Ahmed, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tahir Ahmed

Tahir Ahmed Thread Starter

Hello,

Do you guys think that Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler will fit in a regular full tower case. Its not a branded/famous case, just a normal full tower with handle on top.

Thanks for your answers.

2. peck1234

peck1234

3. BG-0

BG-0

Problem is, Zalman 9900 is a lot worse cooler than the V8. Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer (needs a S1366 bracket), Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V would be at the same performance level. No kind of a cooler is really easy to install, and getting a good one is worth the little extra hassle.

4. Tahir Ahmed

Thanks for your replies. Today I purchased CM V8 cooler, I must say that I am impressed by its size, but as peck1234 said the installation is pain in the head. I have to remove entire CPU and other things to get the job done but in the end it installed just fine and my case cover is also closing nicely.

Here are the temps after this cooler:

Idle temp

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/TahirMunir/Idle.jpg

Load temp

[​IMG]

5. peck1234

peck1234

nicely done.... time to overlock that bad boy!

Also, go into your bios and make sure auto cpu fan control is off, and just set the speed you want with the switch....

P.S. How long did it take you to find out that those screws are backward threaded!

6. Tahir Ahmed

Thanks for the advice regarding speed control, I forgot to turn off auto fan control in bios.

Clever question indeed ! ;) from your first post I got an idea that this cooler is going to give me a lot of trouble so before installation I saw the video below very carefully so my installation went just fine however removing the MB, fixing the cooler, fixing the MB back and rewiring still caused some pain :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt82NMT-G08

7. Tahir Ahmed

Ahh yes one more thing, does excess thermal compound can cause problems with CPU or MB, actually I first applied a very little amount of compound to CPU but it was not spreading properly so I used a little more to make a proper layer. But I think second time I applied excess amount of compound so does that cause problems ? As far as temps are concerned they look good.

I also checked info about Thermal Fusion 400, it says that the compound is non-conductive so I think its safe to go with excess amount but I want your advice too.

Thanks.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    An excess of the thermal compound can be as bad as not enough. It would create an insulation layer that could retain heat instead of helping to disapate it. go here and choose your processor and it will give the proper application instructions. This works with other brands than Arctic Silver. http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

9. Tahir Ahmed

Okay I removed the cooler and cleaned both surfaces (cooler and processor) than reapplied the thermal compound very carefully and spread it evenly on processor and results are better than before (a difference of 2 - 3 degrees) but now there's another problem, I have tried using two softwares to check individual core temps:

1) CoreTemp
    2) C2DTemp (plugin for RivaTuner)

Both of these programs are giving very different results:

CoreTemp is resulting in 34 degs for each core (idle) while C2DTemp plugin is resulting in 22 degs for each core (idle). What do you think ? Which one is giving correct results ?

Thanks.

10. BG-0

BG-0

Idle temps don't really matter, and the thermal diodes don't even work properly at that low temperatures. Run Prime95 for half an hour or so, then see temps from those, as well as trying out HWMonitor.

If you really want to know which app shows the idle temp closer to truth, go to BIOS and see what does it say about the CPU temp there.

11. Tahir Ahmed

Thanks for the wonderful program BG-0.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/838694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice