1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Case of the Missing E-Mail Icon in Start Menu

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cvoptimus, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cvoptimus

cvoptimus Thread Starter

I have two computers still running Windows XP. A few months ago the e-mail icon for AOL as the default program on the Start Menu went missing on both(!) only to be replaced by Windows' generic icon.

This is strictly an aesthetic problem as the link still works as it should. It just baffles me and it has defied every effort to correct it. I have scanned most of the suggested fixes for missing icons in the forum but none seems to resolve the issue..

I have also tried temporarily switching the default e-mail program, to Outlook Express for example and then switching back with no luck. I have even tried reinstalling AOL.

Perhaps some Microsoft expert might guide me to the registry file that should link the default e-mail program on the start menu to the AOL Software? There are no problems with AOL icons elsewhere on the computer ( desktop, quicklink folder etc.)

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. gfne

gfne

Updates and Upgrades to software that are in the start menu can cause that. I would right click the entity with the missing icon, find the item in programs (in the start menu,) right click it and (hopefully its there) click pin to start menu.

3. cvoptimus

cvoptimus Thread Starter

Why thank you Greg for your clever solution.

I have really never seen this phenomenon before as a result of an update. I still believe that is has something to do with some broken registry link. Because the problem appeared on two computers at about the same time it has to have a common origin. My best guess is that it was caused by a registry cleaner. I installed the same system utilities program on both computers shortly before the issue arose. In most respects it has proven to be great software.

At first when I read your suggestion, I was initially disappointed. My basic impetus for seeking advice came from my fundamental urge to have everything work the way it's supposed to rather than settle for a workaround. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that your idea would do everything I wanted. After all, it was just an aestheic problem - my annoyance at having to look at the generic icon instead of the correct one. So I can customize the start menu to hide the e-mail link showing the offending generic icon and can pin to the start menu any shortcut that does what the e-mail link is supposed to. I further realized that any link that I pin to the start menu can be customized to show any icon or name that I want. Brillant!

If in the future, after installing updates to the e-mail software the proper e-mail link is somehow restored, I can always test that possibility by switching the start menu to display the e-mail link again. But even if that doesn't happen, thanks to you I no longer have to look at the generic icon.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays! :D

4. gfne

gfne

Your Welcome. Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah/Any other religious celebration.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969855

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice