1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ccleaner

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Jack421, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack421

Jack421 Banned Thread Starter

Does anyone trust cleaning there registry and defragging there registry with Ccleaner, with its back up of registry feature, reliability and restore point.

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    I've seen lots of advice here at TSG not to use the registry cleaner function of Ccleaner, though in all other respects that prog is highly regarded here.

Richard

3. stantley

stantley

CCleaner does have a registry cleaner, but it doesn't defrag the registry. It also doesn't back up the registry or create a restore point.

What it does is backup the registry entries that you delete (unless you turn that option off). But if you find a problem a couple months later that was caused by cleaning the registry, the backups might not be of any help.

4. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

I've used the registry cleaner function a couple of times, with no ill effects.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Consider yourself lucky .. I wasn't
    See where it says this Here

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You've been lucky - so far.

------------------------------------------------------------------

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Registry cleaner/booster/optimizer/tuneup type programs will do little-to-nothing to improve speed and performance. What they can do is break programs and damage the operating system. If the damage becomes severe enough, you'll be forced to do a hard drive format and reinstall of the operating system. Stay away from them, no matter what they claim they can do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

8. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I've perused a couple of forums regularly and no statitical analysis or anything but the incidence of odd problems in conjunction with regular use of a registry cleaner to "tidy" things up seems more than coincidental to me.
    I experimented a little with CCleaner at one time, and its not so much that it didn't do any harm, but, there was not an iota of discernable benefit. In other words I got along exactly the same without it and have for years and years...and don't have any of those odd problems that seem to crop up.
    If my registry gets munged, its munged, no registry cleaner is going to help that either.

Its for the neat-nicks, everything in its place and no more...its always an ideal, almost never a reality. I spill a virtual beer in my computer now and then, and neither of us minds.:p

9. pcguy9441

pcguy9441

....then there's always the exception. My wife's near new Vostro laptop developed an intermittent "blue screen-fail to boot" problem 2-3 months in. After 30 min on the phone with Dell tech support, I finally caved to the $40 offer to buy the Dell PC tune-up app, a repackaged version of Iolo's System Mechanic registry cleaner (even though I already have Registry Mechanic). The alternative was to spend hours on the phone with them walking me through a one-by-one uninstall everything exercise with the $ meter running. I was betting that their app had some magic sauce that maybe RM did not. Anyway, it fixed the problem and 3 mo later the laptop remains solid. In hind sight, I don't believe the Dell tune-up app (i.e. SM) did anything I could not have done with RM, or perhaps by just backing out a few recently installed apps, although the laptop is very lite on extra stuff since it's only an emailer/web surfer machine.

10. Jack421

Even free ones highly recommended that defrag and clean the registry such as Glary Utilities!

11. Jack421

I was told registry cleaners do not provide any benefit unless you follow up defragging the registry after cleaning up useless entries with programs such as Glary utilities

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Who highly recommends it?

The main problem with registry cleaner/optimizer/booster/tuneup programs is their aggressiveness in flagging valid registry entries as invalid or broken or damaged.

I've run scans with these programs right after doing a hard drive format and clean install of the operating system and had them flag hundreds of registry entries as invalid or broken or damaged.

If you want to use them and risk having broken programs and a damaged operating system, that's your choice.

----------------------------------------------------------------

13. Jack421

Glary Utilities is freeware and recomended by most people in Spybot forums. I am fully aware of the risk in deleting valid entries and perhaps those entires are invalid entries from installation disk in a clean install old uninstall and install registry entires used simply for installation! I am not sure just guessing as I have heard very little complaints from Ccleaner or Glary Utilities the applications are not that aggressive as usually the paid products are such as Registry Mechanic!

14. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Technically its true that compacting a registry after cleaning will have a benefit, but, its on a scale that's not practical. The R and A of RAM stands for random access so nothing changes or is of benefit when the registry is active, so the only time it can be of benefit is when its written to or read from non-volitile memory, and then we're talking about a few milliseconds at most; more likely it would take an unknown number of times to add up to a few milliseconds. In fact, it takes far longer to run any registry cleaning and compacting program than will ever be made up in read/write savings time.
    So, technically, can't say they're wrong in the claims made; but, they sure are full of snake oil.

15. Jack421

Why provide free snake oil, the programs are freeware?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!