1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CD and DVD drivers corrupted Windows 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DCM1519, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

I am running Windows 7 on a dual boot system with Windows XP.

Today, when in Windows 7, my CD and DVD drives do not work and the error message says "driver may be corrupted or missing (Code 39). They also do not work in XP mode.

The drives work OK in Windows XP.

I have tried to update the drivers on the internet and hard drive storage and it does not work. I also "uninstalled" each drive through the disk manager and then restarted the computer. It tried to install drivers but gave a message saying that they were not installed.

I would like to run the Windows repair program on the install disks but without operating CD and DVD drives, I do not think this is going to work. I tried it using the Windows 7 safe mode and it did not recognize the drives either.

I have some disk images on external hard drives that can be restored but I want that to remain as a last choice because I have installed some programs after making those images that I could reinstall but it would be a nuisance. No programs have been installed within the last week or two.

Any suggestions on a possible fix for this problem?

Thanks

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Use device manager to uninstall the drive, restart the PC and Windows will install the driver again, see if this solves it.

3. noobsaibot

noobsaibot

Or if so reformat your computer or perform a system restore to an earlier checkpoint.

4. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

I tried uninstalling the drives several times and it never worked.

System Restore also failed. This program never worked right in Windows XP and so far is a dismal failure and waste of time in Windows 7 too.

I may end up reinstalling one of my older images. First, I am running my Anti-Virus and Spyware checkers.

Thanks

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

6. vicks

vicks

By any chance, are you using Norton?
    vicks

7. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I am not using Norton. I quit that one in 2003 and never looked back. Life is easier without it. That would have been my first thought too if it was on the machine.

I have reinstalled two drive images since posting and both have the same problem. They are one and two weeks old and it is possible that the CD and DVD's were not working then.

The odd thing is that after still finding the problem on this two week old image,

I rebooted to safe mode and the drives show up there. In addition the "Belarc" program shows the drives even while Windows 7 (while not in safe mode). Apparently, something is loading in the operating system that is not loaded in safe mode.

Now, I have to figure out what that is.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Maybe you didn't see post # 29?

9. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

I did see a post from you that sounded good when Microsoft said that two corrupted registry entries could cause this and then offered a solution. I do not know how to find the number of the posting but noticed that you posted on Dec 29 so that may be the right one.

I am comfortable editing the registry and jumped right on that one. The problem is that in spite of their site saying they would show how to fix it, they did not identify the two entries nor could I find anything from them that actually guided me to those entries or showed a way to fix them.

I am still hoping that the problem is that simple.

Thanks for sticking with this.

10. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Maybe this will work

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

11. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. I have already tried that one twice and it did not solve the problem. Now, I am beginning to think that I should just reinstall Windows 7 and the programs.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

12. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

After narrowing this down, I realized that the fact that they are show under safe mode, I shut down some of the programs that run at startup and also shut down Zone Alarm.

I do not know what is causing the problem but now, even though the drives do not show in Windows Explorer, they are now working and are visible under "My Computer".

Now, I am going to reinstall my latest drive image and then edit it. At least, if the drives work, that is a step forward because I can then use the repair function from the install disks. Maybe that will fix it.

Thanks for all your help.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes I meant post # 5 sorry. I am on Windows7 so I cannot test it but I thought the click on "fix it for me" is a download that will run the fix for you. I might be wrong.

14. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

The "Fix it for me" was really impressive when it started and my first thought is "great, they finally did something right".

After it failed to do anything, it got demoted to the same category as "system restore".

Hopefully, someday Microsoft will try again and get those things to do what their titles suggest that they will do.

Thanks

15. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

I set up another partition on my hard drive and installed Windows 7 there too. Am going to migrate from older installation to this one and then remove the older installation.

The new one is doing exactly the same thing.

When Windows Explorer is opened, it shows all my hard drives including externals but does not show the CD and DVD drives.

However, it will show them when I click on "My Computer" in the left pane. All drives are then shown.

It used to show them all in the left pane when I used Windows Explorer.

Now, I am wondering if there is a setting somewhere that controls what is displayed.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/889388

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice