1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CD Burner Problems

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Danboy, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

Good Evening All,

I have been having CD burner problems so I thought I would post what is going on and maybe someone can help me. I have been trying to burn my files to the CD for backup and I kept getting the message....

There was an error trying to burn to this disk. So I went to Walgreens and bought some new ones and tried again. Ths screen got hung up right before it got to the end of the burn and stayed there for a half hour. So I hit cancel and it said canceling burn and it stayed like that for another half hour. Finally got fed up and shut it off. Before the new CD I tried to burn to a old one and you could hear a ticking sound coming from the front of my computer. Tonight I tried a audio CD and it plays it just fine. Questions....

Is the CD Burner shot ?

If so, how do I make sure that the new one I buy and install will work in my computer ?

Sorry to be so long winded but I try and explain the best I can. Thank You for your time. :)

Danboy

2. swwelsh

swwelsh

Cd burners are pretty generic, any one you buy should work fine. Burners do go bad in the way you describe, but you might try a few things before you give up on it:
    -try a different cd burner software
    -try removing the drive from device manager and let windows redetect it

If it still fails, just buy a new one and make sure the jumper settings on the new drive match the old one. Other than that it is a simple plug in replacement

3. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

I will give your ideas a try and see what happens. It will take me a few days but I will let you know what happens.

Danboy

4. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

Well I removed the CD Rom from the device manager and Windows did redetect it and now it seems to be working. One more question, when I am burning files to a CD and there is to much data for the CD to hold, does the computer let me know? Thanks for your help. I will wait a day and then mark this thread solved.

Danboy

5. johnpost

johnpost

the burner programs i've used all gave some indication either digitally or
    graphically (a colored bar) or both for the cd media capacity and the
    amount of files you've selected to write to it.

if you've selected more then it can hold when you tell it
    to start the burn, it tells you it won't fit and you get
    to remove files from the listing until it does fit.

6. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

Thank You johnpost. I will mark this thread solved.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice