1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] cd burner won't work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ltim, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ltim

ltim Thread Starter

Hey everyone, new guy here. I got a CD-burner for christmas to take the place of my cd/dvd drive. I only have a space for one drive, so I took out the CD/DVD and put in the CD/CDR-W. Except when I put it in nothing happened. The computer doesn't detect it as a new drive and I don't have any additional programs that allow me to set up and burn CDs. It still reads and runs program CD's like the old unit did, but now I don't have DVD or CDR capabilities. All it came with was the 16x/10x/40x CD burner and an "Applications disk 2 of 2" cd. I called gateway thinking maybe the non-existant "disk 1 of 2" that I didn't get was what I needed, but they said it isn't and it should be working. For additional help they want $2 a minute, so that's a last resort for me. Please help!!!

2. brianF

brianF

Without burning software the cdrw is just a cdrom drive.

I am not familiar with freeware but you can download a demo of nero here www.ahead.de

I think it's good for 30 days.

Someone else may know of a freeware program

3. ltim

ltim Thread Starter

So what you're telling me is Gateway sells the drive and then doesn't give you the program you need to actually use it, what's the deal with that?

Got a new loop to throw ya. I use RealJukeBox and it has some free burning software, but when I try to download it it says the proper driver can not be detected and may be installed improperly. I followed the install instruction to the T, but do you think I should take it out and start over? At this point this thing's a paperweight, so re-installing it is fine by me if it'll make it work.

4. brianF

brianF

Unless realjukebox needs the drivers preinstalled I'm not sure.

The only thing you need is the drive connected and recognized by windows and the drivers that the burning software will install.

Sorry no clue on real, never used it

5. ltim

ltim Thread Starter

OIC, well I'm not set on realjukebox, that's just what I have always used. I'll post and see if anyone knows of good freeware CD writing software. How much does a good program like that cost if I have to buy it? Any recommendations?

6. brianF

brianF

I use Nero, the one I posted above, can't remember, think it was 50 with shipping. Last version I got as a freebie on something or other

7. ltim

ltim Thread Starter

I went to www.download.com and am currently downloading the 30 day free trial of Nero. I just want to make sure this burner works. If it does I'll see if anyone on campus has burning software I can bum off of them. Thanks!

8. ltim

ltim Thread Starter

Booya! Downloaded Nero and just got done burning my first CD at 16x!!! It said something like underbuffering was avoided 8706 times and the writing was 100% succesful. I don't know what the buffer thing was about but who cares, the CD works great!!! Thanks so much for your help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!