1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CD drive acting strangely

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Armiris, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Armiris

Armiris Thread Starter

Earlier today, my CD drive stopped working, no CDs could be read. This happens sometimes, and a reboot always fixed it, but this time, a reboot made it worse. After rebooting, the Dell logo came up, the progress bar finished, and then it gave me a BIOS error.

'Secondary hard drive 0 not found. Press F1 to continue, F2 for setup.'

I clicked F2, and my CD drive wasn't listed. I'm able to load Windows just fine, but Windows doesn't recognize my CD drive, and my CD drive keeps spinning the CD inside it while the light on it is constantly on. How can I fix this?

My CD drive is a regular CD drive, not a CD-RW or a DVD or a DVD-RW or a CD-R.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the drive is not IDed in the bios, you have a hardware problem; ie failed drive, bad cable, etc.

Start by reseating all connections for the drive both power and data cable. If this does not fix the problem, then use a new data cable. Still does not work, replace the drive.

3. Armiris

Armiris Thread Starter

While in Windows, and with the CD drive spinning, I could eject the CD inside the drive out. I tried rebooting again, but this time quickly ejecting before it could give me an error. Now the BIOS recognizes the drive, and so does Windows. I haven't tried reading any disks though, so I'm not sure if it is actually working. I'll update with more information after trying to read a disk.

4. Armiris

Armiris Thread Starter

The disk drive does still work. I'm not having any more problems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/798513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice