Solved: CD/DVD Drive Missing o_o

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Normy777

I recently tried to install a new DVD Burner and when I did, it suddenly stopped working, but also made my original CD drive stop working. I checked in the "Device Manager" list to see if there were any conflicts. And the "CD/DVD Drive" is completely missing. Im not sure how to get this back, and have tried System Restores, but they were "Unable to complete". Is there any way to get this back? I thought of Re-Installing Windows XP but I can't, as my CD-Drive does not work...

Help?

Hidden driver conflict is most likely the problem.

I had a simular problem and I had to contact the vendor's tech support for a special uninstall utility.

Check the jumper on the DVD drive. You may have them both set to master. Set the DVD to slave and keep the CD as master.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I agree with Lance, this sounds like a hardware installation error. Try removing the DVD and see if the CD comes back. :)

Normy777

I thought so to, but I tried taking out the DVD drive to see if things would go back to normal, but nothing happened. The problem is it seems that the actual CD drive files got uninstalled from the computer. Theres absolutely no trace that there ever was a CD drive. With everything connected theres no "D" drive under my computer. Theres also no "CD" drive under Device Manager, like there is supposed to be. :confused:

Normy777

Yes I just tried using regedit.

For method 1, which is deleting the registry REG_MULTI_SZ, the registry is not even in my registry. It says "If this data type is missing, go to Method 2", so I went to method 2.

For method 2, it involves looking through Device Manager for the drive, but as I already said, the drive is missing from Device Manager.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Since tinkering with the hardware was the initial cause, I still think that there's some hardware issue here.

Have you tried booting from a CD with the DVD out and see if the BIOS can see the drive. You first need to determine if the drive/cable/IDE controller are working at all.

Normy777

John Will, how is this done? I agree, there may be a hardware issue.

Also, I tried using regedit again, and was able to delete UpperFilters and LowerFilters from REG_MULTI_SZ. After restarting my computer, under my computer I now had more drives, which is an improvement I suppose, only there was "Local Disk C", but also "Local Disks D and E". So now it looks like I have 3 hard drives. I'm so confused... Again, no drives under Device Manager. Any ideas?

Normy777

Yes, but are there supposed to be folders and files in them? For example, the D: drive has a "Dell" folder, a "RECYCLED" folder, as well as a whole bunch of random .mdm files. Also the CD drive does not work.

Normy777

Haha. I seriously think my computer hates me...

But anyways, I think I need to Re-Install Windows XP..is there any way to do this without using the CD-drive?

I have seen a faulty ROM drive do this to XP. Remove the CD ROM drive and only install the DVD drive. (the new one I assume). Make sure that you set the jumper correctly on the DVD drive. (ie Cable Select, Master, Slave, etc) Then boot to the safe mode by tapping F8 and choosing Safe Mode from the Optionns List. Look in the Device Manager for your drive. Delete all CD ROM drives from the list and reboot (normally) the computer. XP will find and setup the drive but may not see it at first as a DVD burner. I don't know why, but something in the electronics of a CD ROM can go "south" and even keep a perfectly working computer from booting until the drive is disconnected.

Normy777

I tried this, but as I said before, there was nothing in the Device Manager to delete?

However, under "Disk drives" there is something installed called "ST380011A"..not quite sure what that is. I think tomorrow night I will run a full Virus/Spyware/Adware scan and maybe run a Registry Cleanup or something. Does anyone have any free, downloadable (and useful) Registry Cleaners? Also if you have any more possible answers to this weird problem...well...that'd be great :)

Thanks again :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online