1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cd/dvd drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cloudx77, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cloudx77

Cloudx77 Thread Starter

ok,i have a problem and its really annoying me, ive searched for the answer but at no luck

The problem is with my cd-drive.it disappeared and i have no clue where it went. it isnt even in the device manager. the only drive i have is that dvd drive that daemon tools made. also when i try to burn a cd it wont let me cause it says my burner isnt connected (its a laptop,so everything is connected internally) i googled my problem but didnt see a solution.(also im not a computer expert, but i understand some concepts). i discovered this because i had a virus and it deleted some windows things(lik regedit*not the registry just regedit so i cant edit the registry*) so i needed to put the windows cd in their to replace the file. no one was monkeying around the drive so im pretty sure its not a physical problem. also im running windows XP sp2 and i think thats all you need to know bout my computer so if you need anything, dont hesitate to ask.

your help is greatly appreciated:) thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When you boot the computer, do you see the CD displayed during the POST? You can hit the Pause key to stop the display so you can see what's discovered. Also, try booting from a bootable CD, if it boots, the CD hardware is fine.

You first need to identify what's going on, but it sounds like hardware issues.

3. Cloudx77

Cloudx77 Thread Starter

heh heh, sorry if i sound like an idiot but whats a POST?
    also i put some cd with a keyboarding program in side and it spins but nothing happens (i also tried with a dvd and a music cd)

4. o_ilove

o_ilove

A post is the first&second page when your computer boot .This will show your component of the computer.

Do you have Cd-writer program in you labtop? Uninstall it.

5. Cloudx77

Cloudx77 Thread Starter

during the POST(i think its the post) all i see is my system specs, also i uninstalled any cd writer program i had. but still nothing.

6. norton850

norton850

Do your system specs list any drives?

7. Cloudx77

Cloudx77 Thread Starter

i didnt see anything abiuyt drives but i pressed F2 to enter setup and i went to where it says BOOT and i seen something like this: +Disk drive(if i press it it shows a whole bunch of number*which i assume is my hard drive*)CD/RW drive(?)(i try to click it but nothing comes up) and the last one is networking drive(again nothing). i went to BOOT because it was theonly thing that mentioned CDdrive. so any help on what to do next?

8. JohnWill

Do you have a bootable CD of any kind? Try booting from the drive, that will tell us if the hardware is working.

9. Cloudx77

Cloudx77 Thread Starter

i put a cd in there and it spins but nothing comes upon my computer,so im guessing its the hardware thats not working

10. JohnWill

I'm guessing you're right. :)

Did you make sure that all the cables and connectors to the CD drive are secure?

11. Cloudx77

Cloudx77 Thread Starter

its a laptop so there are no cables or connectors(cept on the inside but i cant see inside my computer)

12. JohnWill

Most laptop optical drives can be pretty easily removed, usually one screw and slide it out. I'd do that and reseat it to see if that helps.

13. Cloudx77

Cloudx77 Thread Starter

k, ill try. ill let you know what happens.
    *i hope i dont render my laptop useless*

14. Cloudx77

Cloudx77 Thread Starter

sorry for the double post but i dont see a screw, or away to take the cd drive out, so ive included some pictures to see if you could help me.

http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture029cu0.jpg

http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture028xu9.jpg

http://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture027uw3.jpg
    also please forgive the bad quality i had to use my webcam cause my digital camera is broken(lol everything around me is breaking:eek: )

please help, and as always your help is greatly appreciated

15. JohnWill

It's not in the pictures. The screw on my HP laptop is 5.5" from the edge almost centered on the DVD tray. It has a tiny CD icon next to it, makes it easy to identify. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice