Solved: Cd/dvd drive problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bangbrosid

my computer stopped recognizing my cd and dvdrw drive. When I go into "my computer" it only shows my floppy disk drive. I have windows xp. I want to know if there are any settings I could change? Or why this is happening? thanks alot

What were you doing that may have caused this? Did you install or uninstall any software or CD-burning programs?

Are the drives in Device Manager?

bangbrosid

I am pretty sure I have a virus. But i think the settings were changed somehow. The drives are not shown in the device manager. thanks for your help.
any other suggestions or settings I could change?

thanks

See if they appear in BIOS setup.

Also look under your IDE controller and see if the second channel is enabled.

Open the IDE controller in Device Manager. You should see 3 entries, one for the main controller and one each for each channel.

For BIOS, there is usually a message at boot about hitting a key to enter BIOS setup.

bangbrosid

in the device manager there is a yellow circle with an exclamation. what does this mean?

It means something is not working. Does the drive show in cd-dvd drives?

Uninstall the dvd drive in Device Manager and then reboot to let Windows reinstall it....if that doesn't work, open case and reseat cables and plugs to dvd drives.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online