1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] cd/dvd drive will not open

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sbhunt, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sbhunt

sbhunt Thread Starter

Hi there.
    I'm using XP and have a cd/dvd drive, a cd-rw drive, and a floppy drive. Everything seems to be working fine, but the last few days I have not been able to eject the cd drive. I've can use my cd-rw drive instead, but i'm not sure why this isn't working. Can anyone help me on this? I already tried going through explorer and using the eject command from there. Thanks!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Will it open and close while the computer is booting up?

3. n2gun

n2gun

Lets try to eliminate a hardware problem first. When booting and before windows starts, hit the eject button and see if it opens. You may have to try a couple times to see if it does. If it does then it is likely a software problem.

4. sbhunt

sbhunt Thread Starter

Just tried it... it will not eject when booting up.

5. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Is there a disc in the drive?

6. cnclathrop

cnclathrop

does it flash when booting if it does then it seems to it is jammed some drives have a release hole located onthe front that will unlock the cd then you can open it manually if it does not flash when booting check your 12 volt supply connector maybe you have a bad connection

7. sbhunt

sbhunt Thread Starter

I'm not exactly sure... I can't open it to find out. :)

8. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

There should be a tiny hole just below the tray itself. Straighten a paperclip and push it in the hole slowly. This should manually eject the tray.

9. sbhunt

sbhunt Thread Starter

okay... I used the release hole and pried it open. After I got it to open, it seems to be working just fine now. Thanks for all your help guys!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice