1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CD/DVD drives not working (2)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulgold, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulgold

paulgold Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 24567 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series, 1024 Mb X 2
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 1626714 MB; D: Total - 286173 MB, Free - 87257 MB; E: Total - 476936 MB, Free - 139132 MB; F: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 85225 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., Rampage III Extreme
    Antivirus: GFI Software VIPRE, Updated and Enabled

I have two CD/DVD drives:
    HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH12LS35 SCSI
    TSST Corp CD/DVDW SH-S183L ATA
    They are both showing in "Device Manager" but with a yellow exclamation error mark. They do NOT show in "My Computer"
    I have tried uninstalling them and letting the system find them but still the same error marks. I tried updating the drivers on both but the systems says they are the latest drivers.
    I'd appreciate your opinion and/or help.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. paulgold

paulgold Thread Starter

Thank you VERY much for your QUICK and accurate response. I tried the MS "Fix it" utility without success but was able to fix the problem with the MS KB through RegEdit. I'd like to buy you a beer! Do you have a PayPal account?
    Paul

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    LOL, glad you found the solution, thanks is simply enough (y)

5. paulgold

paulgold Thread Starter

Hi Triple6,
    I thought I'd solved the problem. However while the drives show up in "My Computer" they do not recognize any disks put in them. Also one additional disk shows up that when clicked plays "cda" files of an album (BeeGees) I'd burned some months ago. I'm lost. I tried the MS "Fix it" program again but no joy. Any ideas?
    Paul

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. paulgold

paulgold Thread Starter

I tried the link you sent but it didn't fix it. The problem seems to be this "third" ghost drive(shows up in "My Computer") that mimics one of the genuine drives and when clicked opens up all these BeeGees .cda items. I've tried to remove it through "Disk Management" It doesn't show up in "Device Manager" but is still there in "Disk Mgr" I've tried changing the drive letters but the problem remains and neither of the genuine drives will recognize or play a disk. That about comes to the end of my limited tech knowledge. I tried Googling every possible combination of description of the problem and keep coming up with a blank. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You probably have virtual CD\DVD drive software installed, you probably have to uninstall it.

9. paulgold

paulgold Thread Starter

Where should I go to look for a virtual CD/DVD drive on my computer? I don't recall ever installing one.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Whats the name of the third ghost CD drive? You may have to go to Device Manager to see it, might also list a manufacturer.

11. paulgold

paulgold Thread Starter

That's the weird thing! It doesn't show in Device Mgr. but does show in My Computer and Disk Management. It seems that it mimics either of the genuine CD/DVD disk drives but when clicked on plays these .cda files.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    In My Computer, can you right click on the drive and view its properties?

13. paulgold

paulgold Thread Starter

Yes. It shows up as the HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH12LS35 SCSI. However when clicked on play, it plays the aforementioned .cda files.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well it can be deleted via the registry:

Start -> Run/Search - > Type REGEDIT and press Enter. Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>MOUNTED DEVICES sub key and delete the key that goes with that drive letter.

Try reading discs in Safe Mode.

15. paulgold

paulgold Thread Starter

Couldn't find a sub-key in mounted devices. Tried Daemon tools to remove the drive with no luck. Now in Safe Mode (with networking) and real CD/DVD drives still acting the same. Which ever drive I put an audio disk in, it reverts to showing the .cda BeeGee files???

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice