1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CD & DVD drives not working ... cannot remove drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by firedart, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firedart

firedart Thread Starter

Think I need to completely remove the CD Rom drivers from my system but do not know where or how to locate them ....

History:
    • Whilst investigating another problem I came across an error in Windows Event Viewer related to a system file pfc.sys residing in the Windows/System 32 folder.
    • Online investigation revealed a common problem with this file and the advice given was that it could be safely removed and solve the problem.
    • I moved the file to a Temp folder and rebooted the system only to find that my two internal CD Rom and DVD drives are no longer working.
    • Device Manager is showing all 3 drives with a yellow exclamation mark and reports "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"
    • I moved the pfc.sys file back to its original location and rebooted the system but the problem still persists.

Steps Taken:
    • Attempted to update the driver software from within Device Manager which reported that "The best driver software fro your device is already installed" and "Window has determined the driver software for your device is up to date".
    • Uninstalled all 3 drives from within Device Manager and shut down the system
    • Removed the power supplies to all 3 drives (effectively removing them from the PC) and rebooted.
    • Checked that they were no longer displayed in Device Manager
    • Ran a system cleanup and registry check using CCleaner and Auslogics Boostspeed and rebooted the system.
    • Shut down the system, re-connected the power supplies to all three drives and rebooted the PC expecting the drives to be discovered as "New Hardware Found" and then new drivers installed but this did not happen.
    • Checked Device Manager which now shows the three drives with driver errors as before. I have no working CD or DVD drives on my system at all.

Any advice as to how I may go about resolving this issue would be appreciated. I believe I have to manually remove the drivers from the system/registry? but I do not know where or how to locate them.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8190 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 143086 MB, Free - 71025 MB; D: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 118500 MB; E: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 159648 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5N-D
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. firedart

firedart Thread Starter

Just found a solution, this is what fixed the problem:

Edited the Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On your right look for "Lower filters" and delete it
    Do same for "Upper filters" and close the window
    Restart the computer
    Your drivers will be automatically installed

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice