1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CD Rom and DVD Rom Troubles

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TommyC306, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TommyC306

TommyC306 Thread Starter

I wonder if anyone can help me, I am a silver surfer with a bit of computer savvy, but since re-installing my operating system, (Windows Xp SP2 2002version) Things seem to have gone awry! I had been reloading all my bits and pieces over the last couple of days and everything seemed ok until I put a cd into the drive and nothing happened. When I checked the device manager I saw the exclamation marks and read this message. "Windows cannot start this device because its configuration (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (code 19) Click troubleshoot for help etc" Well I tried to open the troubleshooter and that wont open. I have a Liteon cd rom LTN 5265 and a LG dvd writer. Can anyone HELP?:confused:

2. norton850

norton850

Hello and welcome

You have a very common Windows XP problem. Use this link and follow JohnWill's instructions. Missing CD Drives

3. TommyC306

TommyC306 Thread Starter

Hi Thanks For The Advice, But It Did Not Seem To Work, I Think I Followed The Instructions Correctly, I Acutually Copied And Paste The Dialogue, So I Don't Think I Mis-typed Anything. The Only Success I Had Was When I Uninstalled Via The Control Panel, On Bootup The Drives Were Found And Installed But After I Had Used Them, They Disappeared! Where Am I Going Wrong?

4. norton850

norton850

Are you back to the Code 19 error?

5. TommyC306

TommyC306 Thread Starter

(y) Hi, Thanks for the reply, well I do not know what has happened, I was not able to log on yesterday, but when I logged on today, both my drives were recognised and appear to be functioning! Could it have been a combination of uninstalling and following your instructions? I am rather bemused but happy that they seem to be working, now if I could only speed up the perishing thing then all would be wonderful, getting around on the net and receiving mail seems so slow. But that is something else and I am working on that. Thank you again for your help and advice:) Regards Tommy.

6. norton850

norton850

Ah! The mystery of computers. :p

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!