1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] cd rom disappears

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigbob97838, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigbob97838

bigbob97838 Thread Starter

why would my cd-rom disappear and then sometimes come back

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Loose connections?

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

software conflict, resource conflict, drive controller going bad, flaky motherboard, cd-rom failing. Could even be a power supply issue with the drive failing to initialize.

4. bigbob97838

Thank You
    AceCandy & gotrootdude, I have been working on this computer for about a week I just did a full system recovery with the 7 disks that I had to order from Hewlett-Packard everything was going just fine ( AND THEN ) it started all over again When my buddy brought this over and asked if I could help him with it It had some virus that corrupted 155 files So that is where I started I will check all the connections and install a new ribbon cable on the cd rom I know he would like to get his computer back and I will be happy to be able to give back to him working right. I have what is I am sure a dumb question Is it possible for a virus to stay in the computer after doing a complete system recovery? If so what do I do now?
    Thanks again for your replies

5. ~Candy~

I wouldn't think so, unless one of the disks contained one. But to be safe, run a virus scan.

6. bigbob97838

Thanks AceCandy
    I did the virus scan , new cable , checked connections, pulled out my hair, none of that helped, Any more ideas? I think my next step is to change out the cd rom What do you think?
    Thanks again for your reply

7. ~Candy~

Yep, definitely the next step....it could be going out slowly.......

8. bigbob97838

:D
    Thanks for your help it was verrrrry much needed and appreciated. I switched out the cd-rom and that took care of the problem. Thanks again this site is the best

?? How do I close this out??

9. ~Candy~

You can hit the report thread button and ask for it to be marked solved....but since I'm following it anyway, I can do it now ;)

Glad things are working again. It's a shame that the CDROM drives are throw away devices anymore :(

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!