[SOLVED] cd rom disappears

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
software conflict, resource conflict, drive controller going bad, flaky motherboard, cd-rom failing. Could even be a power supply issue with the drive failing to initialize.

bigbob97838

Thank You
AceCandy & gotrootdude, I have been working on this computer for about a week I just did a full system recovery with the 7 disks that I had to order from Hewlett-Packard everything was going just fine ( AND THEN ) it started all over again When my buddy brought this over and asked if I could help him with it It had some virus that corrupted 155 files So that is where I started I will check all the connections and install a new ribbon cable on the cd rom I know he would like to get his computer back and I will be happy to be able to give back to him working right. I have what is I am sure a dumb question Is it possible for a virus to stay in the computer after doing a complete system recovery? If so what do I do now?
Thanks again for your replies

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I wouldn't think so, unless one of the disks contained one. But to be safe, run a virus scan.

bigbob97838

Thanks AceCandy
I did the virus scan , new cable , checked connections, pulled out my hair, none of that helped, Any more ideas? I think my next step is to change out the cd rom What do you think?
Thanks again for your reply

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Yep, definitely the next step....it could be going out slowly.......

bigbob97838

:D
Thanks for your help it was verrrrry much needed and appreciated. I switched out the cd-rom and that took care of the problem. Thanks again this site is the best

?? How do I close this out??

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You can hit the report thread button and ask for it to be marked solved....but since I'm following it anyway, I can do it now ;)

Glad things are working again. It's a shame that the CDROM drives are throw away devices anymore :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online