1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cd-Rom doesnt show on my computer!!! ahh

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MohamadAli, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MohamadAli

MohamadAli Thread Starter

hey everyone, my dvd/cdrw drive just recently disapeared from the "my computer" window, and it does not work any more. It has power going to it. I checked all cables plenty of times. The only time it works is when i put XP cd and restart computer, it reads it. But otherwise it wont read anything when i am on Xp. Im fresh out of ideas, if any of you can help ill really appreciate it, i dont watn to reformatt agian lol

2. Dochoi

Dochoi

I wonder have you tried hardware detect ( from control-panel > add new hardware wizard ) force to reconize to CDRom?

pls reply us, it work or not? thanks. :p

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

1. Click on START button, the click on RUN.

2. Enter REGEDIT and press Enter.

3. When REGEDIT starts, open up the following folders
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/
    {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

4. After clicking on {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} you should see two settings on the right-hand side:
    "Upperfilters"
    "Lowerfilters"
    Click on each of them, press DELETE and click YES.

4. MohamadAli

MohamadAli Thread Starter

thanks man soo much your friggin awesome, worked like a charm, lol. can you by any chance tell me what i did to make that happen so i dont do it again
    btw, thanks for the help again

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

I've heard that this is caused by installing Roxio software (and probably some others), but have no verification of that information.

6. ultimatezero

ultimatezero

i have a very similar problem, but i don't have the upper and lower filters in that cd-key. i have posted this in other forums of how my problem appeared

i put in a stick of 512 ram awhile ago and it wasen't compatable with my motherboard. so in the end i took out the stick of ram that doesn't work. after all the ram problems, the net result was that my cd-roms disappeared. they dont' appear in my computer anymore and i can't seem to get them detected in bios when they detect the master and slave. i swapped cd-rw's with my sis to see if that could help something get detected and it hasen't. i'm tried googling for solutions but the ones i tried haven't worked. has anyone got ne suggestions? i've checked for all loose cables. in device manager, IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, i have primary and secondary IDE controllers, and SiS PCI IDE controllers. nothing there is flagged

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try starting a new thread about your problem. Piggybacking another thread will make your problem less visible.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice