[SOLVED] CD-Rom drive not accessible after fresh Win 98 install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AvsFan

I partitioned, re-formated and installed Win 98SE from CD but after the install I am unable to see the cd-rom. When in explorer or my computer, I get the "devise is not ready" and "D:\ is not accessible".

I am confused as to why it was there throughout the install and now it is unavailable. How do I get it back to use?

Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

It is very likely you will have to reinstall the drivers. Go to Device Manager and see if there is a yellow question mark in front of your drive. It's all self-explanatory there as far as drivers.

tosim33 hate to say this but I think he will have to reinstall windows. I did the same thing not long ago and had the same problem and the only way I could get past it was to reinstall windows. It also caused other problems down the road so this is why I suggest this.

When you reinstall windows, remove all cards except video, and one cd player and then after windows is installed you can add your cards one at a time and you won't have any problems. Don't know why it is like this but if you do get the cd to work then the usb ports won't and so on.

It is easier to do it now.

AvsFan

Thanks Rick and tosim33. I was afraid of your answer Rick, but if that works its worth the effort. I'll give it a try and let you know if it is successful.

Thanks again!

Sorry to say this but that is the only way I have gotten around this problem. It is a pain but in the end it resolves a lot of problems you will come up with later if you try a work around.

You say you are not seeing the drive in Windows Explorer or My Computer but getting a device not ready message. How are you generating the message?

If you put your Win98 CD in the drive and Start>Run and type D: (enter) after the drive has spun up, what happens?

Is the CD-ROM showing in device manager? Any messages like yellow exclamation marks.

Go to the CD-ROM drive in device manager (if it is there) and check that auto insert notification is checked. While you are there check that disconnect is checked and sync data transfer is not checked. Try DMA both ways. With auto insert checked put a program CD in the drive that you know auto starts. Anything?

If it is definitely not going to read a CD for you:

Delete the CD-ROM drive in device manager and reboot. That should reinstall the CD-ROM with drivers.

If that doesn’t work, remove the CD-ROM drive in device manager and shut down. Remove the IDE cable from the drive. Reseat the cable at the MB connection while you are at it. Boot and check that the CD-ROM is still missing from device manager and Windows Explorer. Shut down and reconnect the drive. Boot.

Might want to check your IDE secondary in BIOS.

If that doesn’t fix it you might have to follow rkselby98’s advice.

AvsFan

Thanks all for the help!
After going through the various steps and re-connecting the cable to the mb, were up and running again.
I'm grateful for the help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online