1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CD-ROM drive not recognizing discs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darklightr, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Darklightr

Darklightr Thread Starter

This problem just popped up today. Suddenly, my CD-RW drive won't recognize any disks, either data, games, or audio. It won't even spin the disc when I put it in the drive. I was playing a game earlier today and it worked just fine.

My system is free of viruses/spyware/adware/malware. I haven't installed any new hardware or drivers recently or any significant software. The system is cared for well and has not suffered any physical damage.

I looked for new or updated drivers for the drive, and found one (it might have been firmware, though), but when I attempt to install it, it says that the correct drive couldn't be found, telling me that it's for a LITE-ON LTR-48246S (which is exactly what I have).

Any help would be appreciated!

2. vixenk

vixenk

When you start your computer, does the light on your cd rom light up at all?

3. Darklightr

The CD-ROM drive light blinks on and off in boot up, yes. It does it when a CD is put into the drive as well. However, I can hear that it's not spinning, and it never registers that there is a CD in the drive.

4. Darklightr

5. vixenk

vixenk

Try uninstalling your cd rom driver in device manager and then rebooting and waiting for Windows to automatically install the Windows driver.

Also, when you went to install the driver from the Lite-On site, did you uninstall the cd rom driver that was currently installed first?

6. Darklightr

I went ahead and uninstalled the driver. When attempting to install the new (firmware?) that I downloaded, I was told "No drive detected." Upon reboot, I still have the same problem with the CD-ROM drive even after Windows re-detects the device.

I read somewhere else that CD-ROM drives can go bad for any number of reasons, so I went ahead and just purchased a new one online (reads/writes both DVDs and CDs). It wasn't too expensive, and it'll be an upgrade from what I have, so I guess that's fine.

Thanks for the help, though. :)

7. Darklightr

I guess I'll just mark this thread as solved. The solution is to just buy a new CD-ROM drive if yours is screwing up. They're cheap enough. :)

8. vixenk

vixenk

*nods* Yah, it does sound like your cd rom is on the fail...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice