1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Cd rom gone

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Ihatebestbuy, Nov 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ihatebestbuy

Ihatebestbuy Thread Starter

Ok, I was on my computer earlier today, was using windows media player, and I sent some music to my cd/RW to burn a disk. My cdrom locked up, and my whole computer froze. I had to push the dreaded button of death and restart the computer. After the computer restarted my cd rom icon is gone. My e drive which was my cd rom is no longer displayed, when I click on control panel, there is not even an e drive shown. My cd rom is completely dead, no response from it at all. Can anyone help me with this?

Chris

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Have you tried restoring a prior registry? Start>Shutdown>Restart in MS-DOS mode.

At the c:\windows\>prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

select a started registry before the crash. Avoid the oldest (5th) as it will probably fail to restore.

3. Ihatebestbuy

Rog,

I tried to restore the reg. Its still the same no Cd-rom. I opened the case, checked the connections, all seems to be ok in there. Would my drivers for my cd-rom vanish? I am at a loss here. Also now whenever I start my computer it takes a long time to start, almost like it is searching for something. Sometimes it sends me to safe mode too. I have minimal programs on startup, just zonealarm, rain and systray. I have no idea if the two problems are related, but ever since I lost my cd-rom, my computer starts slow.

Chris

4. Dan O

Dan O

1. Was the restore sucessful?
    2. Have you tied a second Registry back?
    3. When the PC is powered on is all hardware posted, including the CD-ROM drive?
    4. Have you tied Step-by-Step when booting to see what is hanging? Depress and hold down F8 for Windows 95 and CTRL key for Windows 98/ME after the hardware list is posted.

Let us know the answer for each question.

5. Ihatebestbuy

Dano,
    1. The restore was completed, it said I was restored to a previous version with no errors. I still however have no Cd-rom.
    2. I tried a second restore, same thing.
    3. When the pc is powered on, all hardware is posted except for the cd-rom. I see no activity on that what so ever.
    4. I tried step by step booting, nothing really significant except on teh last item, msmouse vxd. This was the last item in the list however and windows loaded after that. I dont think that is causing the slowdown.

When I started windows in Ms/dos I got the message
    Device driver not found IDECD001
    No valid Cd rom device drivers selected.

Chris

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you bypass autoexec.bat and config.sys (use msconfig), does it behave any differently?

Are there any problems indicated in the Device Manager for the IDE on which the cd-rom is installed?

Also is mscdex.exe present in windows\command?

You might want to replace this using SFC in case it is damaged.

7. Ihatebestbuy

Rog,

Bypassing autoexec and config doesnt change anything.

There are no problems indivated in the device manager, because it doesnt even show the cd rom as being installed. Its like it doesnt exist on my computer.

I ran Sfc and nothing showed up as damaged.

Also now that I restored my registry, everytime I start my computer again it restores the registry back to that day. Its almost like everytime I shut down and restrat, it starts my computer over again.

Chris

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Right click on My Computer, select properties>performance. Are you configured for "optimal performance" or in "compatibility mode"?

What message is scanreg generating when it restores after a reboot?

You might also try scanreg /fix from a true DOS prompt.

9. Ihatebestbuy

Rog,
    I am configured for optimal performance.

The messgae I get on a restore is that you have been restored to a previous version with no errors.

Chris

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

And you are getting that message every time you reboot? Try scanreg /fix to see if you can stop it.

Also verify whether

>> the cd-rom is listed in the Device Manager
    >> there are any problems listed under Hard Drive Controllers for the Primary and Secondary IDEs

>> whether the Primary and Secondary IDEs and installed drives are recognized at the BIOS level. When you reboot you may see a brief configuration screen. Pressing Pause stops it and enter will resume the boot. See if the cd-rom is recognized on its IDE.

You may have to enter the BIOS to get that info, tho'

11. Ihatebestbuy

Rog,

Ok I did scanreg/fix,
    It said that my reg has been repaired.

On my device manager the only disk drives listed are a generic ide drive and floppy drive. I dont even see a cd rom listed.

As for problems under hard drive controllers and ide stuff, I am lost on these. I am a computer idiot so that whole last paragraph was greek to me.

Chris

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

See attachment. What do you have listed there? When you click on Properties for each device, does it say "this device is working properly"?

You're going to need to verify what is detected at the BIOS level, so try to pause that configuration screen if you have it.

Also as I remember, you have a Gateway computer. Verify that you have a Promise Ultra100 controller installed and "working properly" at the location indicated in this link:

http://www.gateway.com/support/techdocs/software/windows/151307410.shtml

In the System Properties dialog box, click the Device Manager tab. On the Device Manager tab, click the plus sign (+) in front of SCSI controllers. Win9x-ME Promise Ultra100 (tm) IDE Controller appears. Click to select the Promise controller, and then click Properties.

Or....

Note: The controller may be listed under the Other Devices category instead of SCSI controllers. The controller may also be listed with a yellow circle and a black exclamation point in front of it. Select the controller from that location and update the driver in the same way as listed above.

Attached Files:

13. beach51

beach51

Hi ihatebestbuy,I just installed a new CdRom on my computer today.After i installed it,it wasnt showing up in device manager.So i re-checked the interface cable and sure enough it wasnt all the way in,i pushed it and heard a snaping sound and then it showed up in device manager.Not saying this is your problem,but is it possible that the interface cable is bad.

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

That's a good suggestion from beach51. I think I would try this first tho'.

Get a Win98 boot disk and boot with it. Select "start with cd-rom support"

Watch the screen and note the drive letter that gets assigned to the cd-rom drive. Normally it is bumped up one, so if it was E, then it would be F

When the drivers are loaded and you are at the a:\> prompt, put a cd-rom in the drive and enter:

dir x

where 'x' is the letter assigned to the cd-rom.

Does the drive work, and can you see the files listed on the cd-rom?

Remove the floppy before rebooting. (ctrl-alt-del)

15. Ihatebestbuy

Rog,

I dont have a gateway, I have a compaq presario 550mhz with win 98 and 256mb of ram.

On my system properties, I dont even have the cdrom listed like it is on the attachment you sent. Everything else listed is working properly, but there is not even a cdrom category.

Beach,

I opened up my case and tried to play with the cables. Nothing was lose, but I wouldnt be able to tell if the cable was bad. It seems like my cd-rom just died. I might just break down and go buy a new cd-rom.

Thanks for the help so far guys

Chris

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice