1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] CD-Rom Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by syscrash, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. syscrash

syscrash Thread Starter

Hey folks,
    Well I messed with the DMA settings in the system properities under control panel for my CD-Rom.

It asked me to reset the computer and I did. Well then when I came back. The CD-Rom wasn't working. So I changed it back to the orgiginal settings and it still don't work.

It gives me the message E:\ drive is not accesible. The Device is not ready.

Did I damage the my cd-rom drive by doing this or did I corrupt a driver?? Any input would help Thanks.

Shaun

2. LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

Right click on My Computer. Click on the Device Manager tab.

Viewing under 'View Device By Type', does it display your CD drive?

3. syscrash

syscrash Thread Starter

yep it is on the list. It also said it's work properly. But when I click on it I get that error message I stated before.

It has me buffled because I was never aware that if you changed your software setting it can physically damage the cd-rom drive. So I don't think that is the problem.

I just think there is somethign wrong with the driver. But I can be wrong. I just have hope that others had run into the same problem.

I also tried to uninstall the cd-rom drive and rebooted the computer and let it re install it.

4. LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

Hmm, odd.

In most cases, software cannot damage hardware, just depending on the situation.

My next suggestion would have been to go back to device manager and remove the CD drive and re-boot, but since you've already tried that ...

Unless you have changed any additional settings in BIOS .. I'm as stumped as you are :(

Sorry I couldn't be of further help. Hopefully someone will have a clue. :)

5. syscrash

syscrash Thread Starter

Well thanks for the attempt Looney. I do apperciate it. I will give the bios check an attempt also. Maybe it might "Wake up" the computer and let it know it's there.

6. syscrash

syscrash Thread Starter

well that didn't work. I hope someone else has any ideas. I might just try to take it out physically and put it back.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What boxes do you have checked now?

8. syscrash

syscrash Thread Starter

I have disconnect and auto-insertation.

I did remove the drive physically and put back into the computer. I also changed the Master/slave settings and tried that.

I also replaced all my ASAPI files and that didn't work. Next I'm going to try to get my old registry settings back from a couple of days to see if that will work.

I call tech support and they won't help because they said it's not a hardware issue.

So at least I know I don't have to buy a new DVD Drive. Or hopefully :(

9. slipe

slipe

When you physically removed it did you delete it in device manager before removing it and then boot without it once? Sometimes that brings back AWOL equipment.

10. ~Candy~

Is this a CDROM or a DVD? You've referred to both.......

Also, have you tried placing a check mark in the DMA box? Restart.

11. syscrash

syscrash Thread Starter

I'll correct myself sorry about that.......it's a DVD drive. THe computer is showing it's a Samsung SD-612 model.

I have tried what you told me and that didn't work yet either. :(

12. ~Candy~

Well, then, the only other I have is to hook it up outside of the computer and try accessing it that way. Can you access it by booting with a windows 98 bootable floppy disk?

13. syscrash

syscrash Thread Starter

No, because I'm a moron and did the unthinkable and never made a start up disk. I guess I learned that lesson.

14. ~Candy~

15. syscrash

syscrash Thread Starter

Hey guys I fixed it. Not sure what I did totally. I know I did these two things and it worked.

I updated my VIA 4-1 drivers.

Then I updated my firmware on my DVD drive. I think this is what did it.

But it works. Kinda slow but it works.

Thanks for all the help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice