1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CD ROM not an option for Boot up in Bios!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cap2587, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

I have an old system running Windows XP and am wanting to perform a re installation of XP. Unfortunately I am unable to boot from the CD (no CD Rom Option in the Bios) for some reason and the system won't let me boot from my Flash Drive. Is there any other way to install XP without these two options. It was booting from a CD yesterday, but today it won't work. I checked the connections and they seem to be fine. I removed the battery, but that did not help. I tried another CD drive, same result. The system had a bad log log off thing going on which was caused by Internet Security 2010. I removed the virus by putting the old hard drive in another PC. Without thinking I tried to do a repair install using a Dell Home re installation disk, and got half way through and it kept asking me for a audio driver. I was stuck and then realized I should not be using this disk as The system was pre built and not a Dell. Please Help. Thanks

2. moper

moper

3. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

The system does have a floppy drive. There is no press any key to boot from CD. CD Rom is not listed as an option in the bios Boot Priority. I will try your suggestion of the XP start up disk. I am at a loss to explain what happened to remove CD from Boot options. Thanks for your quick reply moper.

4. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

I think this is going to be very difficult if not impossible. The PC is not recognizing my CD ROM in the Bios. I tried to use the 6 Floppy's to install XP, but when they try and locate the CD Rom it is not working. This system will not boot from a floppy despite the fact that it gives that as an option in the Bios. Any more ideas.

5. moper

moper

It's not unusual for a floppy drive to not read a disk, especially if it hasn't been used for years.
    Try the single Dos disk multiple times.

As for the CD drive, open the case, remove and reinsert the cable connections.

Replace the CD drive and/or floppy drive with another. Used ones are really cheap at computer shops or shows. Seems a lot of people have old computers in their basements collecting dust. Almost any old CD drive will work.

moper

6. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

Moper,

One of the options when I boot the PC are the Intel Boot Agent and it says to check the cables to CD ROM. I have double and triple checked the cables with no luck. I have replaced the CD ROM two different times and that hasn't worked. I will try the Single Dos method, but am not hopeful as that has to recognize the CD also. What about an external CD drive, would that work. Do they attach via a USB port. Thanks for your assistance.

7. bigbear

bigbear

Try replacing the ribbon.
    Make sure the drive is jumpered master or cable select

8. moper

moper

Check the power connector to the drive, also.

Does a light on the CD drive come on when first booting up?

Also, what motherboard or computer model?
    Possibly try putting the drive as slave on the primary side.

moper

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

First thing I would do is reset the bios to "optimum defaults" and see if cd drive shows up. If still no and other drives you know work don't, well this is a bad controller. Can you attach cd drive to other cable but make sure hard drive is master and cd drive jumpered for slave?

10. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all of your help. I finally solved the issue through trying all of your suggestions. I should have studied how the cables were configured before I started removing the hard drive. I changed the configuration of the ribbons and that worked. I did learn through this experience and will be better when a similar situation arises. Cheers. Craig

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Great glad to be a part of it!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/899007

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice