1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cd rom not detected in win me

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jamajessie, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamajessie

jamajessie Thread Starter

:confused: Please help! My Cd roms just suddenly stopped being detected by my computer. I clicked on the device manager it is not listed but if I start my computer in safe mode it is there. I'm baffeled here. I am runnig win me. I have a memorex dvd rom and a phillips cdr. I don't know if its a problem with windows or something. Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

2. dai

dai

in safe mode delete them from the device manager reboot and see if you can see them then in normal mode after windows reinstalls

3. jamajessie

I'll try that and let you know if it works thanks for replying!;)

4. jamajessie

That didn't work :( any other suggestions?

5. dai

dai

which burning program do you have

6. jamajessie

Easy Cd Creator 4 by Adaptec

7. dai

dai

8. jamajessie

yes how do i access the Registry editor. Those are my exact symptoms

9. Arky

Arky

Go to Start -> Run ->type regedit in the edit box.

10. dai

dai

in the run box type
    regedit
    and press enter
    editing the registry is not something you do unless you have to,so be careful and double check you are on the right entry before you proceed

11. jamajessie

I have no idea what I'm doing so I better leave that one alone any other suggestions? If I have i can reformat my hardrive with my recovery disk. But I don't know how to start that process without using the cd which i can because the roms wont work. If you can help me with that I'd appreciate it. That should solve the problem shouldn't it?

12. Arky

Arky

After looking at the Microsoft remedy proposed above, I noticed that the article pertains only to WXP and WXP Pro. Also it suggests using regedt32.exe that I don't think is on WME. The keys in the article appear to be specific to XP and W2K.

To determine if you have them search the registry for the hex number in the key. If you find it, in regedit go to Registry -> Export Registry File to save a copy of the key that can be reimported, if you make an editing mistake, by double clicking it.

If you have a restore point, it would be best to try that before attempting to edit the registry.

13. jamajessie

I tried a restore point I don't have one unfortunately

14. Arky

Arky

Specific to ME trouble shooting, but nothing on the CDROM that I can see:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;winmetshoot

Make sure your BIOS is set to recognize the CDROMs. Next, go to control panel -> Add New Hardware. First, have it search for new hardware. If it comes up with nothing, then elect to pick the hardware from a list. (I am assuming that no one has uninstalled, deleted or otherwise done anthing to the machine since you last used it). Select CDROM from the list and select the name of your drive. If it installs you will have at least one drive available.

If that doesn't work go to Windows\inf and search down the list for cdrom.inf. Right click it and choose install.

For you CDRW you may have to reinstall your CDRW writing software. LOL

Microsft will also accept e-mail requests for support, but the turn around time may be slow.

15. jamajessie

I took it in to best buy Monday. They called and told me that it was the hard drive. Since this is the 4th time I have had problems with it and had to have hardware replaced. They are going to junk it out and issue a Brand New Computer!!! I am so glad when I bought that computer that I purchased a seperate 3 year service plan! I can't wait to go pick it out!!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice