1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] cd rom stopped responding

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by electricrebel92, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. electricrebel92

electricrebel92 Thread Starter

i recently had a new harddrive install but the guy forgot to put the dvd player back on. I went to compaq and downloaded what i need. Now my cd rom is not responding. It says to please insert the correct cd in when it already is in. I must have overwritten something cause it was working well untill i downloaded the stuff for the dvd player.please help Im using windows ME and the device manager says the device to working.

2. deuce

deuce

Did you try deleting the drivers for the cdrom and reinstalling them?

3. electricrebel92

when i look at the device manager i only see the dvd player i dont see the cdrom/

4. electricrebel92

now when i put a cd in this message comes up. autorun has caused an error in AUTORUN.EXE I dont know if this helps. i dont see the drive listed under device manager

5. electricrebel92

i when into safe mode and delete the cd rom drive. It seems to not have loaded back on. Im a very newie and this is over my head

6. electricrebel92

like i said i dont know if this helps. Some programs are working some aren't. Bookself 2000 works but nhl2002 doesnt. it seems all my video games aren't working.

7. electricrebel92

when i go into safe mode and check the drives i see the dvd player but nothing else. shouldnt i see the cd rom. if so is there anyway i can restore them. i dont have go back

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is the cdrom back in the device manager now? In normal mode?

When you say the games aren't working, what happens? An error message?

Can you double click on the in MY COMPUTER?

9. electricrebel92

I dont see the cd rom in normal mode or safe mode. i do see the dvd player list and my usb easy cd creator. the error message i was getting was AUTORUN.EXE only when i put a game in. ill go try it again.

10. ~Candy~

And just to be clear, which drive are you testing? The DVD?

Have you been into the bios setup to see if the cdrom is being recognized there?

11. electricrebel92

this morning i downloaded a patch for my dvd player. Since then i haven't been able to use my cd rom drive. The dvd and cdrom are the same thing or rather the same drive. i asked compaq to help but it was no use. i dont know how to check my bios. but i do follow instructions well. Earlier today i seen the cdrom listed in the device manager when i was in safe mode so i deleted it thinking it would come back on with the stuff installed. But no thats not the case now i cant find it. I tryed a game i know was working before i downloaded the patch for the dvd player. it saids nhl2002 has caused an error in DF3948.TMP. I've also come across this error autorun has caused an error in AUTORUN.EXE.

12. ~Candy~

A DVD and a CDROM won't appear in the device manager if you have only one drive.

Some DVD drives will show up as a CDROM, sometimes they may say DVD....

May I ask what kind of 'patch' you downloaded?

13. electricrebel92

the patch i downloaded was for the dvd player to make it run more consistent. Ok so its there your saying. It was working find untill i downloaded this. ofcourse compaq was no help. maybe the error code would help AUTORUN.EXE

14. ~Candy~

I'm a bit leary of this 'patch' that you downloaded.....can you give me a download link where I can take a look at it?

If you've tried to 'hack' the dvd drive in any way, I think you're pretty much sol.

The autorun.exe is a file that is being looked for on the cd. If it's not there, I believe this will be the error generated.

What happens when you click on the dvd drive in my computer and instead of allowing it to autorun, select setup.exe?

15. electricrebel92

i cant send the link it wont let me. I've done and tryed very little. All of my video games i am unable to access. I will try so more to send the link but its not letting me You have to input your model and operating system. I haven't done a thing since i downloaded this thing. the only thing ive done is go into safe mode. I have limited abilitly when it comes to computers. Im willing to try anything. please help. i dont know what it is to hack it

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice