1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CD ROM system file is missing or corrupt

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by supersgroote, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. supersgroote

supersgroote Thread Starter

My CD ROM/DVD player recently stopped working on my Omitech computer. From My Computer - I can't see the drive anymore.
    In the device manager - it has a yellow exclamation mark on it.
    I tried updating the driver but the message was that the software was already the best match. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it says a file is missing or corrupt. I bought a new external CD ROM - but have the exact same problem with it. I went to Run and put in sfc /scannow and there were problems that maybe could be fixed - if only it could read the XP CD - then it could fix the CD ROM. But it can't read the CD because of the problem with the CD ROM. (a whole in my bucket story.)

So - how can I fix the problem if it wants a CD to fix the problem but the CD ROM is not working to read the CD???

2. Claymore

Claymore

Hi,

Try this first:

Copy the code below. Open Notepad and paste it in. Save the result in a suitable location as drives.reg - making sure that the default .txt extension doesn't appear in the file name (Save as type = All Files).
    Double-click on the saved .reg file to merge the contents.
    Restart.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

3. supersgroote

supersgroote Thread Starter

Thank you! You did for me in 30 minutes what my work IT support couldn't do in 2 weeks.

4. Claymore

Claymore

Great! Give 'em the bill for the extra drive you had to buy :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice