1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Cd-rom

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by suga252, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. suga252

suga252 Thread Starter

Have an old packard bell that was at one point running Win95. I need to be able to reinstall from cd, but the bios will not read the cd-rom, therefore, I cannot install the drivers to run the cd in dos mode. Is there a way I can get this done?

2. Moby

Moby

Have you booted using a windows 98/ME startup disc, which include generic cdrom drivers?

3. suga252

suga252 Thread Starter

I have a homemade boot disk (floppy) which has generic drivers on it, and it comes back with some message about cannot find drivers or some crap. Only other startup disk I have is corupted for some reason, and it's 95. Is there a way I can repair that one and get what is needed from the 95 disk?

4. Moby

Moby

You can download boot disks from HERE
    What windows are you putting on there by the way?

5. suga252

suga252 Thread Starter

putting 95 right back up there, can't get them to upgrade no matter what I say. :) Tried that already, both a and b, and they both come up non system disk or invalid media type. Where can I get mscdex besides off the 98 cd?

6. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Have you set the BIOS so that it boots to the floppy drive first? Also, when you downloaded the Win98 bootdisk did you save it to your desktop (or somewhere) or did you download it directly to a floppy disk?

7. suga252

suga252 Thread Starter

downloaded 95 boot disks, but i can download 98. That's no problem, but what would I need it for? I did set the bios to boot from floppy only. I did notice that there is nowhere in the bios for me to even see if it reads a cd-rom. Look everywhere. Only saw where it sees the HDD, and change one of them to CD-ROM. It's irking me cause I've never seen anything like that before.

8. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

A windows 95 boot disk does not have CDRom drivers on it. A Win98 boot disk includes generic CDRom drivers that work with most brands of CDRm drives. You will need to download the Win98 OEM bootdisk and save it to your desktop. Then double click on the file and follow the instructions to make the boot disk.

If the computer is relatively old then it probably does not support booting directly from the CDRom drive.

Once you have made the Win98 bootdisk, insert it in the floppy drive of the computer you want to install Win95 on then power up the computer. You should have an option to "Start Computer With CDRom Support. Choose that. Once you get to the A:\> prompt, type whatever letter is assigned to the CDRom drive (probably E:, look at the last couple of lines above the A:\> prompt to see what letter it is). Then press enter. At the E:\> or whatever prompt, insert the Win95 CD then type setup and press enter.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

10. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:D :D I knew you were going to say that. :D (I couldn't remember the freepctech site)

11. suga252

suga252 Thread Starter

Will try both of the above and get back to you possibly tomorrow, by the way, how long does it take for a thread to be closed?:)

12. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:D As long as it takes to resolve it !! :D :D

13. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

He/She don't know us too well do they :D

14. suga252

suga252 Thread Starter

No I don't, but I guess I will learn really soon. :D (she)

15. suga252

suga252 Thread Starter

Guess what, I finally got the bright idea to switch out the CD-ROM drive. Fixed my problem. Boot disk found the drivers with no problem. :eek: Thanx guys for all of your help. I'm going to sit in the corner now and think about what I have done. ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice