1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CD-RW problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pauljwest, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pauljwest

pauljwest Thread Starter

HI all,
    My Buffalo CD-RW recently stopped working. :mad: It is being recognized by computer(device working properly) dialog box under hardware. its is also being recognized by explorer(i can eject disc). I cant read ANY data. CD disc is good, i can read from other dvd rom drive. Not sure what other info you might need to help me, but any ideas greatly appreciated.

oh, BTW ... i did the update driver stuff, it told me correct driver installed.

PLEASE HELP,
    Paul

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    what discs are you using? Also did you install the firmware for the CD-RW?

3. pauljwest

pauljwest Thread Starter

Thx for quick response..... but not sure what ya mean. I tried numerous discs ,... that worked in my other drive but not in cd writer drive. not sure about the firmware. How do i do that?? This drive was working earlier today, PC glitched and now not working. Any ideas?? using XP pro if that helps.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You'll find it on the manufacturers website.

As for the drivers, using Update driver won't get the driver from Buffalo, but uses the generic from Microsoft. Usually though the drivers for CD drives are the same as the generics. Again go to the manufacturer's website for it.

5. pauljwest

pauljwest Thread Starter

sry ..misunderstood previous ... i have the disc from buffalo that came with the drive. updated from the disc, it said same driver.

6. pauljwest

pauljwest Thread Starter

Motor not spinning .... BAD writer .... now being used as a door stop(and not a very good one either) :p . Case closed .. thx for the help

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice