1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] CDRom will not work...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikkcasey, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikkcasey

mikkcasey Thread Starter

I can not seem to get any cd's to work.. i was getting an error message that the device wasnt ready now it seems to freeze up my entire computer until i remove the disk.. Im also a computer dummy.....Any suggestions......Thx

2. john_waldrum

john_waldrum

I just responded to another individuals problem similar to yours and my suggestion was to go to MY COMPUTER, THEN CONTROL PANEL, THEN DEVICE MANAGER, CLICK THE PLUS SIGN NEXT TO CD-ROM AND THE HIGHLIGHT THE CD-ROM DEVICE THEN CLICK PROPERTIES AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE AND THEN GO TO SETTINGS ON THE NEXT SCREEN AND UNCHECK DMA AND AUTO INSERT NOTIFICATION, THIS SOLVED THE PROBLEM I HAD AND MY CD-ROM HAS WORKED EVER SINCE.

3. slipe

slipe

The previous post left out “System” between Control Panel and Device Manager if you want to go there the long way round.

RIGHT click My Computer>Properties>Device manager. Double left click the CDROM heading and click your CD-ROM drive once to highlight it. Go to the bottom of Device Manager and select “Remove”. OK and reboot. This will reload the drivers for the CD-ROM and likely fix it if the unit itself hasn’t gone south.

Disabling auto insert and DMA is normally only necessary for some older CD writer setups. Auto insert is a handy feature you don’t want to disable unless you must.

4. mikkcasey

mikkcasey Thread Starter

I believe ive got my cd rom working again thanks 2 u. I appreciate your replys.. Kim

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!