1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{SOLVED} CDROM WON'T PLAY ANYMORE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tovic, Dec 9, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tovic

Tovic Thread Starter

My CD rom doesn't want to play any CD. The drawer opens and closes, The LED light blinks, But nothing happens! the Cd ROM shows up in 'My Computer' but when I click on it, error message "Device isn't ready" comes up. I have Windows 98. I've thought about removing the driver and rebooting but I have heard some horror stories about this, how safe is it?

[This message has been edited by Tovic (edited 12-10-2000).]

2. LarryCore

LarryCore

Very safe. But probably won't help.

Make a Win98 startup disk (Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Startup Disk) and boot with it. It will tell you the drive letter assigned to your CD.

Make sure a good data CD is in the drive and at the A prompt type E: (assuming E is the CD) and then type DIR. If you get an error message, the drive has died. You can try cleaning it of course...

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
    LarryCore begs for money

Vote for the best Tech Support site every day: VOTE for Helponthe.net!

3. Tovic

Tovic Thread Starter

Thanks Larry you were right, it didn't help. I contacted the company and we tried that and more but the thing is just stuffed. We tried removing the driver and letting windows find it but that didn't work. We tried DOS mode and that didn't work. The problem is with the CD ROM itself. I was hoping it would be something simple. Thanks for your help though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/34497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice