1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] CDRW Cleaning kit

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by Lurker1, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lurker1

Lurker1 Thread Starter

It looks like my CDRW is on its way out. I have heard about cleaning kits for the lens. Has any one here used one? How well did it work?

2. Dark Star

Dark Star

Lurker1

Man that POs me whenever I type up a nice reply and get a couple of links together to include with it and then try to get one more link to add in by using the Back button (only one browser open) only to get here and find a blank box.........GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the short and the long of it Mr Google sez "CDRW Lens Cleaning" search found opinions from it's not good to it's great.

I'd suggest you search here:

http://www.epinions.com/cmd-review-58AA-D34C61B-382CAAB1-bd1

......and let us know what you find.

DS

3. Lurker1

Lurker1 Thread Starter

Hi Dark Star

There dosn't seem to be any reviews on a cleaning kit there. On TSG I found one guy who said it worked for him and another who just used windex and a cotton swab to clean the lens? I might buy one just to see if it helps (or get out the windex) :D

4. Dark Star

Dark Star

Lurker1,

IMO, I'd say buy one they seem to be inexpensive I did find one thing in MR Google that said you can do more harm than good with the 'ol Q-tip and windex......

Good luck, and have a Happy New Year.

DS

5. n2gun

n2gun

If you decide to use the Q-tip, rather than windex, i would suggest denatured alcohol. It does not leave a residue and evaporates quite rapidly. I have done it with good results.

6. bigh47

bigh47

Lurker1- I use an Allsop carbon edge diagnostic DVD & CD laser lens cleaner on my HI - Fi cd player it seemed to reduce drop outs.
    Have not used on DVD/CDRW so can't comment. Has the advantage of cleaning and has set up info for stereo, balance, dolby 5.1 etc so can be used all round the house so to speak.
    I have also been warned against the q-tip trick as well lens can easily be miss aligned.

Good luck

Howard :)

7. Lurker1

Lurker1 Thread Starter

Hi all. Thanks for all the replies.
    I ended up using a CD cleaning disk (It has a small brush on it, was pretty cheap and can be used for cleaning cd and DVD players). Unit seems to be burning correctly again. I'm not sure if it was the cleaner or the new PC I put it into but at least its working now. :) :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63220

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice