1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CDRW/DVD gone

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bizziebill, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bizziebill

bizziebill Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario, it's about 5 yrs now. Had it sitting in the garage for about a week after building a new system.
    Fired it up today and found that my two drives are gone, Cd-RW & DVD.. system doesn't see them at all. Not in Disk Manager, My Computer. Put a disk in, nothing happens, the light does come on once.
    When I boot up the light comes on , I have the CD-RW set for first boot. I put the drives in another system, work fine, so I know they're good. About a month before my 3 1/2 floppy went out also. Could this be a motherboard problem???
    Was going to give to a friend, but did't want to give them a headache computer.

2. norton850

norton850

"system doesn't see them at all"

Does that include in BIOS?

3. bizziebill

Includes bios

4. rolandk10

rolandk10

Bad IDE cable? Bad secondary channel? You could try installing the drives on the primary IDE channel just to see if the BIOS sees them. If so, the secondary may be out. If your 3 1/2 floppy also went out recently, it could definately be a sign of a dying MB.

5. bizziebill

I put a new ide cable today, was my first thought. I also done a complete system restore with the factory software that came on the computer, thought that might fix it.
    So what do you mean by the install on the primary? All the drivers are on the partitioned drive (D) that compaq installed.

6. norton850

norton850

The information needed for BIOS to see your drive is part of the motherboard and the drive. No drivers or Windows needed. Once upon a time most motherboards had two connectors for IDE type drives (HD, CD/DVD/Zip). Most likely yours does. What has been suggested is to connect your drives to the other IDE connector and see if they works. Also check in BIOS to make sure things are set to auto. You could also try resetting CMOS with the MB jumper.

7. bizziebill

I understand what being said now. Will give it a try tomorrow, burnt out tonight. Have to shut down & reboot the brain tomorrow. Thanks guys.

8. bizziebill

I tried the primary IDE, it worked, tells me the MB is going out as I thought and was also told. New board, no problem. This is a closed case.
    Thanks again guys.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice