1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] CDRW won't eject

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vette, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vette

vette Thread Starter

My cdrw drive won't eject through the software or manually. If I hit the eject button during the boot up process it will eject but not most of the time if I don't eject it first during bootup. I used to have a similar problem before I up graded my adaptec to version 5 after installing windows xp. My cd drive is an LG 12x 8x 32x. I have tried reinstalling the software, restoring my computer to an earlier date but still no luck. Any body have any ideas?
    vette

2. active95

active95

So, let's say that you will disconnect the hdd (power and data cable ) , boot up your pc, will you be able to eject the tray , but pressing the front button?

3. vette

vette Thread Starter

Excuse my ignorance active95, but when you are referring to disconnecting the hdd (power and data cables), do you mean the cd or the hard drive which obviously would not allow the computer to boot up. My guess is that the eject problem is a software problem, don't where to look in the system.

4. active95

active95

Not a problem vette.... What i'm trying to find out if this:
    Pushing the front eject button are you able to eject the disk? If you are then it start to sound like a software problem. And what i was suggesting ( in case that you can not eject the disk by pushing the eject button on the drive ) was to disconect the hard drive , that way computer will not boot , but you should be able to push the eject button and see if the tray comes out.That way , if the cd rom tray doesn't come out you know it's a hardware problem ( as in the cd rom device)

5. Sancho

Sancho

hit eject a bunch of times as the computer boots up. i have seen windows XP want to keep cds in the drive before. never figured out why though, it was a rare and random thing.

6. vette

vette Thread Starter

The problem is that the cd won't eject by hitting the front eject button or by trying to eject it from the software. The only time it seems to open is by hitting the front eject button during the bootup. After the computer has been running for a while it doesn't want to eject again, hope that makes sense.

7. jimmi

jimmi

If I might add my 2 cents,

I had the same problem. It ended up to be that the CD it was trying to read was created on a different burner from one of my other PC's. The drive just kept on trying and trying to read it but couldn't so lock-up the drive. Try ejecting as you did, and try another disk. Also you might try to install different burner software (like Nero. you can get get a free trial of their web site or get the full version from Kazaa) and it may work. It worked for me.

Good luck. let us know how ya make out.

Jimmi

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Turn the software off from running at startup.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you are using Roxio EZCD then goe to their website and downlaod the latest EZCD 5 patch - it free and makes ver 5.0 compatible with XP. DirectCD locks the drive when there is a formated CD-R/W in the drive.

10. rameam

rameam

I have adaptec w/ direct cd. Normally when I use 'create cd' it will eject w/ the eject button, but when I use direct cd, it will not eject except by right clicking on the direct cd wizard in the tray, then click eject. When it first started doing that, I thought it was a software prob also, but it is apparently designed that way. Hope that helps!

11. vette

vette Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, I have tried ejecting the drive by right clicking and then clicking eject, but still doesn't work I'll give the other things a try as soon as I can and keep you posted. If anybody has any other suggestions, please let me know.

12. rameam

rameam

Are you right clicking on the direct cd wizard and not on the cdrw icon in windows explorer? It won't eject there. I can only get mine to eject when I right click on the direct cd wizard in the tray. Just wanted to make sure I made my suggestion clear. I have a formatted disc, I right click on a file/folder, etc. then click on 'send to direct cd'. After I put everything on the disc that I want to, I go to Programs/Adaptec/Direct CD Wizard, click, the wizard goes to the tray, right click on it, click eject.

13. vette

vette Thread Starter

I tried right clicking on the cdrw drive in my computer and ejecting, in windows explorer and through the direct cd software and nothing worked, not even the eject button on the front of the drive. I down loaded the update from the roxio web site and after a reboot in seems to be working. I can eject through the software, by right clicking and by hitting the eject button on the front of the drive. I guess time will tell if the update actually did solve the problem. Keep you posted.

14. vette

vette Thread Starter

Well, one day later and the cdrw drive still seems to be working. Looks like the software update did the trick. The only reason I can think of that I had this problem again is that I may have accidentally deleted some files that affected the software will cleaning out some clutter.

Thanks for all suggestions.....

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice