1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CDs and DVDs: no sound! But other sounds work! What is wrong?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Saussure, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

My sony-vaio desktop (xp home, sp2) has got two drives, a DVD-ROM drive and a DVD+/-RW/CD-RW drive. The computer is 5 years old and has always played back my CDs and DVDs without problems. Until this morning. I did not change my computer in any way or install/deinstall anything. Suddenly, there is simply no sound when I try to play back DVDs in either drive with PowerDVD or with Windows Media Player. The image is fine with DVDs - but no sound. And if I try playing a CD in Windows Media Player, I am told that there is a problem with the audio device - all the menus are in German, so I am translating here. But other sounds work (streaming content, mpeg-4 files, computer sounds like e-mail notification etc.). My loudspeakers are plugged in (well, they've got to be if the other sounds are okay!). What is wrong? I checked under device manager, but everything seems to be okay, nothing is set on mute, there seem to be no conflicts...Can anyone help me? And below is a snapshot of the audio devices on my computer (they're indicated in German), and there's no red cross or any other mark which may indicate that there's something wrong with them.

Attached Files:

2. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

Sounds like (no pun intended ;)) you may have bad audio cables leading from the drives to the motherboard.

3. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

In other words: the computer is ancient and should be hauled off to a dump. Well, I've still got a laptop with Vista on it...I am hesitating to download service pack 1 on it although Windows Update keeps notifying me...I'm afraid that SP1 do something weird to the laptop...and I'll be left without a computer at all - I think this one, the desktop with the sound problem, is going to pieces. I do remember that, a few days ago, I received a blue chkdsk screen on the desktop, saying that one of my drives (I have two, C and D) was incosistent or something and had to be checked. I chose to have chkdsk go ahead with its scan, and after it had done (it said that it was successful), the computer booted normally into Windows. I was keeping my fingers crossed that it would last more than 5 meagre years...oh well...I don't know how long-lived laptops are.

4. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

Okay, this is really strange. Tried playing a DVD with PowerDVD and Windows Media Player after a few reboots, still didn't work. So. I try playing the DVD with VLC portable. VLC portable is on a USB drive. And...it worked. Is this because my hard drive C is missing a codec or something (maybe thanks to chkdsk), but VLC, because it is portable, does not miss it?

I managed to fish this info out of PowerDVD:

Hardware Information :
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU running at 2539 MHz
    3DNow! Technology : Not Detected
    Enhanced 3DNow! Technology : Not Detected
    3DNow! Professional Technology : Not Detected
    IA MMX Technology : In Use
    IA Streaming SIMD Extensions : In Use
    IA SSE 2 : In Use
    Video Accelerator : DirectX VA (not in use)
    Multispeakers Audio Device : Not Detected
    SPDIF Output Device : SoundMAX Digital Audio (not in use)

When I go "Configuration" (I'm translating from German) and then to "Audio", everything is greyed out, except for "Use SPDIF". But I can't choose my audio settings (with a DVD inside [in pause/stop status] and without a DVD). It's like there's no connection to the audio device. I don't get it.
    Okay, back again. Went to control panel to check the audio settings and when I tried to call up the advanced settings of my loudspeakers (I've got 2 external loudspeakers), I got the message:
    "DirectSound settings not available"

5. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

I'll try reinstalling the Soundmax driver from my PC manufacturer's website. Let's see if it works.

6. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

IT WORKED! Sound is back again, as are the advanced settings/options for the sound. This was a driver problem, and it required the reinstallation of the driver (I managed to find an updated version on my manufacturer's website for my computer model). Problem solved.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754457

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice