1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ceiling fan works, but not the lights

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by BraveBuckeye, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BraveBuckeye

BraveBuckeye Thread Starter

I have a ceiling fan / lights in our kitchen that operates off of the pull switch. The other morning I went to turn on the lights, and it seemed like they all blew at once (3 lights). There is no wall switch for the fan/lights. The fan was / is still running on slow 24/7. (I have since turned the fan off with the pull switch) . I replace the light bulb(s), but still no lights. Replaced the light pull switch, still nothing (fan still works). Wired directly around the switch, still no lights but yet the fan still works! Not sure what the problem is. Checked all of the wiring and can not find any loose or broken wires. Circuit breaker is fine also. The fan and light fixture itself is a little more than a year old, and outside of replacing one light bulb a few weeks ago, has never been a problem. Any ideas or suggestions as to what to try next???

2. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Goodness... I'm sorry I did not reply sooner on this post. Do you still need some help?

3. BraveBuckeye

Fixed: There is a 190 watt limiter in the switch housing that blew (only had 3-40 watt bulbs in the light fixture). Replaced the entire switch housing (fortunately it was under warranty still ($40.00 if I needed to purchase it). Fan / lights were a Hunter Fan, and their warranty states that you need to send a copy of the original receipt. If not, you are out of luck unless you can somehow prove otherwise.

4. BraveBuckeye

Thanks. Found help from Hunter Fan Tech Support which manufactured the fan. They are required to put a 190 watt limiter in the switch housing, which blew. Once it happens, the entire switch housing must be replaced.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice